Don’t you just love it when you start to see holiday ingredients in the grocery store?
I love to see mixed nuts, fruitcake, and egg nog start to appear on the shelves. And also pomegranates, and lots of citrus, and cranberries, of course.
I usually only buy cranberries to make a cranberry relish for Thanksgiving, but this year I wanted to buy a bag early and make something else with them. I was thinking of putting them in a pie, but then laziness won out and I decided a crisp was the way to go. I like pie, but I LOVE crisp…I can’t get over a crunchy crumb topping.
I decided to add blueberries to the crisp, and I loved the way they looked with the bright red cranberries.
I can see why people make cranberry garlands for their Christmas trees, although I don’t think I have the patience for that!
This fruit crisp can be made in the morning on Thanksgiving, and it only takes a minute to mix up and about a half hour to bake. Then your oven is free for all the other things you need to make!
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1½ cups fresh cranberries
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cups light brown sugar
- 7 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup gluten free flour blend (or regular flour if you don't need to be gluten free)
- 1 cup certified gluten free rolled oats
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rinse and drain the cranberries and place them and the frozen blueberries in a square baking dish. Sprinkle with the 3 Tablespoons of sugar.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, gluten free flour blend, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
- Add the vegan buttery spread, and mix together using a pastry cutter until it resembles a crumb topping.
- Spread the crumb topping over the berries and bake at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes or until the berries are bubbly and the crumb topping is lightly browned.
I’m curious what everyone else is making for Thanksgiving dessert this year…pie, cake, crisp? So many choices!
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simply Delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. - February 23, 2017
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017