I can’t type anymore, my fingers are frozen. Okay, not quite, but that’s how it feels these days! It has been so cold here lately – in the single digits some days. That’s too cold. That’s when I put on the leggings and sweaters and cozy up under a blanket with my boys and watch cartoons all morning.
The other thing that I do in these kind of frigid temperatures is make soup. And yesterday was a big pot of chicken soup – that’s my son’s favorite variety.
There’s just nothing like a bowl of chicken soup in the winter, is there? This version has onions, carrots, and lots of dill. Potatoes take the place of noodles, and the broth is thickened with some cornstarch and coconut milk so this is a thick and hearty stew-like soup. So good for a winter lunch or dinner.
Keep this recipe on hand, especially for those days when you are a bit under the weather. It comes together quickly and is so comforting.
Chicken and Potato Soup with Dill.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup frozen carrot coins
- 3 chicken breasts cut into small pieces
- 5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and diced
- one 32 ounce carton reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chicken seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk from the refrigerator section
- fresh dill for garnish if desired
Heat the onion and the carrots in the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat for about five minutes.
Add the chicken breast, potatoes, chicken seasoning, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
Cook until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Use a spoon to remove any foam that rises to the top.
In a small cup, whisk together the cornstarch and coconut milk. Drizzle the mixture slowly into the pot, stirring constantly until the broth thickens.
Add the dried dill and pepper, stir.
Let cook for a few more minutes so the flavors combine.
How are you staying warm these days?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Easy and Healthy Baked Sweet Potato Fries. - April 28, 2017
- Easy Dairy Free Overnight Oatmeal (Gluten Free, Vegan). - April 26, 2017
- Homemade Dairy Free Ranch Dressing. - April 7, 2017