Thick, chewy, and perfectly spiced, these chocolate gingerbread bars are delicious! Make a pan of these for the holidays, or anytime you’re in the mood for a treat.
There’s nothing like a thick, chocolatey brownie. And if it’s the holiday season, how about adding a little spice to the mix?
This is a simple recipe to make allergy friendly – these bars are gluten free, vegan, and free of the top 8 allergens.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – I use Earth Balance Buttery Spread in the tub. You could also use the baking sticks if you prefer.
- Gluten Free Flour Blend – Namaste Perfect Flour Blend works well in this recipe. I also like using my homemade gluten free flour blend. Other store bought flour blends will probably also work well. I don’t recommend making these with coconut flour – they will not rise as well, and may be dense. Almond meal will result in a dense texture.
- Gingerbread Spices – Spices like ground ginger and cinnamon give this dessert a great flavor.
- Applesauce – Use applesauce in place of eggs for moisture and to bind the batter together.
- Non-Dairy Milk – Use a neutral tasting non-dairy milk like unsweetened coconut milk, soy milk, or rice milk. You could also use water.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips – Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips or PASCHA Chocolate chips will work well in this recipe.
- If you aren’t gluten free, you can use regular, all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour if you prefer.
- You can use any fruit puree in place of applesauce.
- Try dark chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, or white chocolate chips for variety.
These will stay fresh if you store them in an airtight container or a ziploc bag. They should stay fresh for about 5 days.
You can freeze these if you like. Wrap each bar in waxed paper and place in a ziploc freezer bag. You can freeze them up to 3 months.
These are delicious plain, but you could drizzle some dairy free buttercream frosting on top, or serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
These chocolate gingerbread bars were a huge hit with my family! They’re rich, chewy, and have a hint of spice that goes so well with the chocolate.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Chocolate Gingerbread Bars (Gluten Free, Vegan).
- 4 tablespoons vegan buttery spread melted
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup gluten free flour spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup unsulfured molasses
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce or prune puree
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk or water
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place a piece of parchment paper in an 8 inch square baking dish so that it hangs over both sides.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Add the melted vegan buttery spread, unsweetened applesauce, and non-dairy milk. Stir until smooth.
- Stir in the dairy free chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, and smooth it out with the back of a spoon.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 24-29 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the bars to cool before slicing with a sharp knife.