Decadent and delicious, this single serving chocolate gingerbread mug cake is a great way to treat yourself! Take a break and sit down to enjoy this chocolatey dessert. It takes just minutes to make a moist, rich, gluten free cake that’s perfect for enjoying with a cup of tea.
Sometimes you need to take a minute for yourself. A cup of tea, a few minutes of silence, or a sweet treat to enjoy are all nice ways to take a little moment to relax.
It’s very easy to make a chocolate mug cake in the microwave. Even without eggs or dairy, you can make a very moist and rich chocolate gingerbread cake in just minutes.
And after you’ve taken care of yourself, if you want to make these for a few different people (like your kiddos), they are quick and easy to make! This is a great option for those days when you need a quick dessert, but don’t want to make a whole cake.
If you aren’t sure about the chocolate gingerbread combination (which is so flavorful), you can leave out the spices and the molasses. You’ll just have a plain chocolate cake instead of a spiced chocolate cake.
If you want a full sized version of this dessert recipe, try these chocolate gingerbread bars!
- Gluten Free Flour Blend – A gluten free flour blend like Namaste Perfect Flour Blend is a good choice for this recipe. If you have a different brand you prefer, that should be fine, as long as it is a blend of flours, not a single flour, like rice flour. If you are not gluten free, feel free to use all-purpose flour.
- Oil – Organic canola oil or melted coconut oil are good choices for this cake.
- Sugar – I used organic cane sugar, but this could also be made with brown sugar or even coconut sugar.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips – I used Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips – I love the taste of the dark chocolate with the gingerbread spices. You could also use the mini chocolate chips if you like.
The baking soda and vinegar works as an egg replacer – it helps this mug cake to rise nicely. No need to use a flax seed egg or any other egg substitute for this recipe.
I haven’t tried that, so I’m not sure. If you have a cup for cup sugar replacement, I think it would work out okay.
👩🏻🍳 Are you ready to learn more about gluten free and vegan baking? Join my community today and get emails with delicious recipes that really work!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Chocolate Gingerbread Mug Cake.
- 2 Tablespoons gluten free flour
- 1 ¾ Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- ⅙ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons organic canola oil or melted coconut oil
- ⅙ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ⅙ teaspoon vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons water amount may vary based on the flour blend you use
- 1½ Tablespoons dairy free dark chocolate chips
- Place the gluten free flour blend, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in a mug and whisk together with a fork.
- Add the canola oil, vinegar, molasses, and water, and stir well. Stir in the dairy free chocolate chips. Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top if desired.
- Microwave for 70 seconds at 70% power. (Microwaves vary – please keep an eye on your mug cake and adjust the cooking time as needed).
- Let cool before enjoying! Top with dairy free whipped cream or ice cream if desired.