Homemade ice cream bars are a fun summer dessert! These chocolate sunbutter cup ice cream bars are dairy free, gluten free, and free of all the top allergens!
Was there a time when you could eat any ice cream or popsicle flavor you desired? A time before food allergies?
If so, what flavors did you love? I used to love flavors that included a lot of candy or cookie pieces. Flavors like peanut butter cup, chocolate chip cookie dough, or moose tracks.
We don’t have the option of eating those flavors from the store or ice cream shop now, but that’s okay. Limited ingredients just means that we have to be more creative with our desserts.
With a popsicle mold or ice cream maker, it’s possible to enjoy delicious ice cream flavors you make yourself.
These chocolate sunbutter cup ice cream bars start off with a delicious chocolate ice cream base, and then have chunky pieces of candy throughout. They’re a fun treat for a hot day – creamy, cool, rich, and chocolatey.
- Candy – You can either buy suncups, or make your own chocolate sunbutter cups to use in this recipe.
- Coconut Milk – Full fat coconut milk is the base for these ice cream bars. You want to get the variety that’s in a can, not the refrigerated beverage.
- Maple Syrup – I used maple syrup for the sweetener here, but you could also use agave or honey if you prefer.
This popsicle mold (affiliate link) is similar to the one I have, or you could use any popsicle mold you have on hand.
If you don’t have a mold, you could also pour the mixture into cups and place a popsicle stick inside. You know, the way your mom used to make ice pops when you were little!
These should last for about 3 months in the freezer. For best results, remove them from the mold and place in a freezer bag. If you just keep them in the popsicle mold forever, they will be hard to remove.
More Popsicles to Try
- Two Ingredient Strawberry Popsicles
- Dairy Free Pina Colada Popsicles
- Chocolate Coconut Yogurt Popsicles
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Chocolate Sunbutter Cup Ice Cream Bars.
- Place the coconut milk, maple syrup, and sunbutter in a bowl and mix together.
- Add the cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and non-dairy milk and stir well.
- Place a few pieces of sunbutter cups in the bottom of each popsicle mold. Pour the chocolate mixture over them, filling each popsicle mold halfway. Add more sunbutter cups, and then more chocolate ice cream, filling each mold to the top.
- Place the top on the ice cream mold and insert popsicle sticks. Freeze for at least 6-8 hours before serving.