This black forest ice cream is rich, decadent, and full of fresh cherries and chocolate cookie crumbs. Make this vegan ice cream for an extra special dessert for your next birthday party.
If you have nut allergies in you family, you know that one of the most frustrating things is trying to find safe ice cream. Most ice cream parlors are off-limits, since the risk of cross contamination from flavors that contain nuts, or nut toppings is just too high.
It’s easy to make your own ice cream at home. If you are also avoiding dairy, full fat coconut milk is an amazing substitute that will result in rich, creamy, delicious allergy friendly ice cream.
This gluten free and vegan black forest ice cream starts with coconut milk, cocoa powder, and maple syrup for a creamy chocolate base. Fresh sweet cherries and gluten free chocolate cookie crumbs mixed with vegan buttery spread add flavor and texture to make a delicious, summery treat!
- Dairy Free Milk – Full fat coconut milk that comes in a can is the best choice for this recipe. The creaminess from coconut milk is the perfect base for this dairy free ice cream. A different milk like flax milk or rice milk will not work well in this recipe.
- Sweetener – I used maple syrup, but you could also use honey or agave syrup if you prefer.
- Cookie Crumbs – I made chocolate cookie crumbs with Enjoy Life Crunchy Chocolate Cookies. You could use any gluten free cookie that works for your dietary needs.
This recipe needs to be churned in an ice cream maker. I have a Cuisinart countertop ice cream maker, and it works very well.
You don’t need to use any salt or ice, it just has a bowl that you store in your freezer. When you’re ready to make ice cream, take the bowl out and put it on the base, add the ingredients, and turn it on! So easy, and such a fun way to make dessert during the summer months.
If you’d like to make a no-churn ice cream recipe, try this easy cherry chocolate nice cream.
You can store this ice cream in the freezer if you aren’t going to eat it in one sitting. When you are ready to serve it again, you will need to allow time for thawing, as it will be very hard when frozen solid.
This should stay fresh in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Gluten Free and Vegan Black Forest Ice Cream.
- Put the coconut milk, maple syrup, and cocoa powder into a bowl and mix together.
- Pour into the bowl of an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- While the ice cream churns, place the chocolate cookies in a ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Take about ¼ cup of the crumbs and set them aside. Mix the rest of the crumbs with the melted vegan buttery spread and set aside.
- Once the ice cream is done churning, mix in the cherries and the buttery cookie crumbs. Stir gently to combine.
- Serve the ice cream immediately, and garnish with the remaining cookie crumbs or more cherries. If you are freezing the leftover ice cream, you will need to thaw it for about 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Open the coconut milk cans and discard any excess water. Some brands have more water than others – you just don't want the coconut milk to be too runny.