When you’re in the mood for something rich, delicious, and fudgy, try these double chocolate caramel cookies! Gluten free chocolate cookie dough is studded with caramel candies and chocolate chips, and bakes up into one delicious treat!
It’s the perfect time of year to bake something chocolatey and delicious! Whether it’s a Valentine’s Day dessert or a treat for a birthday party, these fudgy cookies are the perfect thing to try.
I love this recipe because it works very well, even for beginning bakers. These gluten free cookies have a wonderful texture, and the chocolate flavor is rich and decadent. A simple gluten free flour blend, vegan buttery spread, cocoa powder, and a few other ingredients yields fantastic results.
- Gluten Free Flour Blend – I used the Namaste Perfect Flour Blend in this recipe, and it worked wonderfully! The texture was just right, and these cookies had a great flavor, too.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – We like Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Spread, but the baking sticks would work well, too.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – I used Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder. Feel free to use any brand that works for you.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips – Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips were my choice for this recipe, but you can use any brand that you like.
- Allergy Friendly Caramel Cups – Free2b makes delicious dairy free, nut free, allergy friendly caramel cups, so that’s what I used in this recipe. If you have a different candy that you’d like to use, feel free! You could also make your own dairy free caramel candy and use that if you like.
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the vegan buttery spread and sugars in a mixing bowl, and mix on high speed until light and fluffy. Mix in the applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Add the gluten free flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix on low speed to combine.
- Stir in the dairy free chocolate chips.
- Spoon the cookie dough onto cookie sheets that are lined with parchment, then press a couple of caramel candy pieces into each cookie.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10-12 minutes. Some caramel will spill out of the cookies – it’s okay! It will make little crispy, chewy caramel edges that are delicious. Allow the cookies to cool for about 10 minutes before moving them.
Line the cookie sheets with parchment paper for easy clean up. This is a good idea for all cookie recipes, but especially this one, as the caramel will spill out of the cookies a little bit.
Store leftover cookies in an airtight container. They should stay fresh for about 5 days.
👩🏻🍳 Are you ready to learn more about gluten free and vegan baking? Join my community today and get emails with delicious recipes that really work!
Disclosure: This post contains paid affiliate links.
Double Chocolate Caramel Cookies (Gluten Free, Vegan).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Chop the mini caramel cups into small pieces and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the vegan buttery spread and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and unsweetened applesauce and mix on medium speed.
- Add the gluten free flour blend, unsweetened applesauce, baking soda, and salt, and mix on low speed.
- Turn off the mixer and stir in the dairy free chocolate chips.
- Drop the batter by large tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheets, leaving a couple of inches in between each cookie.
- Press a couple of caramel cup pieces into each cookie. You can kind of tuck them in the middle of each cookie if you like, but the caramel is going to leak out a bit no matter what you do.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10-12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack or tray to finish cooling.