If you’re in the mood for a cozy, comforting dinner, try these chicken enchiladas! A creamy sauce, chicken, corn, and tender tortillas make this a dish that you’ll want to have again and again!
This is the time of year where I start to get into a little rut with my meals. There’s something about the grey days that just isn’t inspiring. Of course, comfort food is always welcome, like this chicken rice casserole or this creamy potato soup.
When I need a little more lively flavor, I turn to these chicken enchiladas. This is one of my family’s favorite dinners. These enchiladas are so delicious – warm, cozy, and filling. The flavors combine so well, and we find ourselves going back for seconds every time!
- Chicken – I used chicken breasts, but you can use dark meat if you prefer. Or use a blend of both light and dark meat!
- Salsa Verde – Salsa verde gives the sauce a great flavor. I used mild salsa verde, but if you want these spicier, you can use medium instead.
- Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise is what gives this super flavorful sauce it’s creamy texture. Be sure to use a brand of mayo that works for your particular dietary needs.
- Refried Beans – You can use refried pinto beans or refried black beans. Either one is a good choice!
- Dairy Free Cheese – There are a few brands of dairy free Mexican style shreds to choose from. Be sure to call the company and make sure any product you try is safe for your allergies.
- Tortillas – There are quite a few brands of gluten free tortillas available at the grocery or health food store. If you can’t find a brand that works for your needs, you can always make homemade gluten free tortillas.
- If you’re vegan, you can skip the chicken and just add more beans.
- If you don’t want to use dairy free cheese, or can’t find a safe brand, you can leave it out! The sauce has lots of flavor, and can stand on its own.
- I love the texture that corn adds to the filling, but if you can’t eat corn, you can leave it out. You could add some finely diced bell pepper if you needed a little more texture.
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the chicken breasts in a pan with water, and bring to a boil, then simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the plan and set aside to cool, then shred the chicken.
- Place the mayo, salsa verde, and cilantro in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Put the shredded chicken, corn, some dairy free cheese, and a half cup of the sauce in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Assemble the enchiladas and place them seam side down in a baking dish. Pour the sauce over the top, and sprinkle on the remaining dairy free cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 30-35 minutes. The sauce should be bubbling and the edges will be golden brown.
🍽 Looking for more comforting dinner recipes? Join my community to get delicious gluten free, dairy free, and top 9 free recipes in your inbox each week!
Disclosure: This post contains paid affiliate links.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Chicken Enchiladas.
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts
- 16 ounces salsa verde
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 15 ounces canned corn drained
- 1 ½ cups dairy free pepper jack cheese shreds
- 15 ounces refried beans
- 10 gluten free flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the chicken breasts in a pot with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the pot and set aside to cool.
- Place the salsa verde, cilantro leaves, and mayonnaise, in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Once the chicken is cool, shred it and place it in a large bowl. Add the corn, ½ cup of the sauce, and ¾ cup of the dairy free shredded cheese to the bowl and mix well.
- Now it's time to assemble the enchiladas, which you will place in a 9×13 baking dish. Place a gluten free tortilla on a plate or work surface, and spoon some refried beans onto it, smoothing them out with a spoon. Add some of the chicken mixture, and roll up the tortilla. Place the enchilada seam side down in the baking dish.
- Repeat step 6 with all of the tortillas, lining the enchiladas up next to each other in the baking dish. Pour the sauce over all of the enchiladas. Sprinkle the remaining dairy free cheese on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 30 – 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the edges are golden brown.