Delicious chocolate sugar cookies are a fun and festive treat to make with your kids during the holidays! A dusting of confectioner’s sugar looks like snow. These holiday treats are gluten free and vegan, too!
Oh my…we love our cut out cookies around here. I have two eager little helpers who just love to pull out all the cookie cutters and get down to business whenever there is a chance to bake cookies. And I do love regular sugar cookies as well, but sometimes you need something a bit different, like these chocolate sugar cookies.
And since these are chocolate cookies, they have a lot of flavor, so they are wonderful plain, or with a dusting of powdered sugar. You don’t have to load them up with lots of frosting. You could frost these chocolate sugar cookies if you wanted to, but it’s much easier to just dust them with the sugar (and it looks pretty, too!)
This is a very simple dough to make, and it works really well with many different gluten free flour blends. Use your favorite brand, like Namaste or Bob’s Red Mill, or make my favorite homemade gluten free blend.
Chilling the dough will help these chocolate sugar cookies retain their shape and avoid spreading during the baking time.
How do you make chocolate sugar cookies?
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap, chill for one hour.
- Roll out the chilled dough and cut out the shapes of your choice.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
What can be used instead of applesauce in this recipe?
The applesauce is used to bind the dough together. You can substitute prune puree, beet puree, or even mashed banana.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Chocolate Sugar Cookies (Gluten Free, Vegan).
- Whisk together the gluten free flour blend, cocoa powder and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Place the vegan butter spread and the sugars in a mixing bowl and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the applesauce and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Form the dough into two discs and wrap in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for one hour.
- Lightly dust a surface and the rolling pin with cocoa powder.
- Roll the chilled dough out to ¼ inch thickness and use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes.
- Place the shapes on the cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes, switching positions halfway through baking time.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- Once cool, dust cookies with powdered sugar if desired.
These gluten free and vegan chocolate sugar cookies are:
- fun to make with family
- great for gift giving
- a delicious twist on a classic!
If you’re in a baking mood, you may like to try these gluten free vegan gingerbread men – they’re another fun cookie to make with your children.
This post was originally published in December 2015. It has been updated, but the recipe remains the same.