Rich and fudgy vegan black bean brownies are grain free and delicious!
Ok, so yes, there are a lot black bean brownie recipes online. I’ve made a few different bean based desserts over the years and they were good. I always made them with the idea that they were healthy and pretty tasty and that the beans were a nice added bonus. But I was never rushing around dying to make them again, you know? They were good desserts, but not amazing.
I’ve been wondering if I could make really decadent and delicious vegan black bean brownies that are gluten free, grain free, and super chocolatey. I definitely did not want to taste any beans at all.
And I’m happy to report that these passed the test! They are so, so good!
We gave these vegan black bean brownies the ultimate test – we ate the batter with a spoon. I figured if the batter tasted amazing without being baked, this was a winning recipe. And…it tasted just like REAL brownie batter! I let my 6 year old try it, too, and he was licking the spoon and asking for more.
After my past experiences, and after hearing other’s complaints about bean based desserts, there are a few things that I recommend doing so that these turn out well and taste delicious.
Tips for making the best vegan black bean brownies:
- Blending the beans very, very thoroughly is so important. You don’t want any detectable pieces of bean skin in your brownies.
- I used a lot of cocoa powder and sugar. I wouldn’t reduce the amounts – these truly taste like rich, fudgy brownies. I was not going after a healthy, light brownie taste here.
- I made these in a loaf pan, so that they would cook evenly, and so that the middle would not be too mushy. This made eight 2 inch x 2 inch brownies. If you want to make a double batch, I would bake them in two loaf pans.
- You must line the pan with parchment paper. If you don’t, the brownies will not come out of the pan in one piece.
- You can use the milk of your choice – if almond milk does not work for you, use another milk.
Gluten Free Vegan Black Bean Brownies.
These are the richest, fudgiest, most delicious vegan black bean brownies that you will ever have.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 4x8 loaf pan with parchment paper, so that there is an overhang on each side. You will need the overhang to remove the brownies from the pan.
In a blender or food processor, puree the black beans with the almond milk and the yogurt. Stop periodically and scrape down the sides and make sure that all the bean skins are gone. You want this batter to be really smooth.
Transfer the bean mixture to a bowl and add the melted vegan buttery spread, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder.
Stir well. Spoon batter into the loaf pan and smooth it out with the back of a spoon.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. They may seem a teeny bit underdone in the middle - that's okay! They will firm up as they cool, plus this is a fudgy brownie, not a cake-like brownie.
Allow to cool completely in pan, then lift the whole brownie out by pulling up on the edges of the parchment paper. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into 8 pieces using a very sharp knife.
Enjoy! We really loved these. I didn’t tell my 6 year old what was in the brownies, and he ate them right up and said they were the “best brownies ever!” Anytime you can sneak extr protein into your kiddos, that’s a win, right?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Dairy Free Buttercream Frosting. - October 14, 2017
- Easy Dairy Free Pumpkin Muffins (Gluten Free, Vegan). - October 9, 2017
- Red Pepper White Bean Dip. - October 3, 2017