These double chocolate zucchini brownies are a delicious gluten free and vegan dessert, and a great way to use up that garden zucchini! If you’re a fan of super fudgy brownies, this is the recipe for you!
If you have a garden, there’s always a point in the summer where you suddenly have way too many zucchini. You head out to the garden one day, and there’s a couple that are ready, and then a week later, there’s about fifty zucchini that need to be picked.
I love these brownies – the shredded zucchini keeps them super moist, and the combination of cocoa powder and chocolate chips makes these extra rich and chocolatey.
These are sure to become a favorite! Serve them plain, or go ahead and top them with a scoop of your favorite ice cream, like this homemade chocolate chip ice cream.
- Gluten Free Flour Blend – I used Namaste Perfect Flour Blend in this recipe, and it worked very well. I have not tried these with grain free flours, and I don’t recommend those, as I think they would make the brownies very dense. If you aren’t gluten free, you can use regular flour or whole wheat flour instead – they will still turn out well!
- Oat Flour – I like using some oat flour in this recipe – I think it really helps the texture. If you can’t have oats, go ahead and use more gluten free flour blend instead. And if you are gluten free, be sure that your oat flour is made with certified gluten free oats.
- Cocoa Powder – I use Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, but you can use any brand that works for your dietary needs.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips – Melting chocolate chips and adding them to the batter adds depth and richness to the flavor. We like Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips.
- Zucchini – I like to grate the zucchini by hand so that it blends into the batter more easily. Be sure to squeeze out the excess water so that the batter doesn’t get too wet.
Step by Step Instructions
- Put the chocolate chips and vegan buttery spread in a bowl and microwave them until they melt. Stir until smooth.
- Stir in the sugar, shredded zucchini, and vanilla.
- Add the flours, cocoa powder, salt, and water. Stir to combine.
- Put the batter into a square pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Use a piece of waxed paper to press the batter down firmly. Top with more dairy free chocolate chips.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool for at least an hour before slicing into squares.
Tips for Success
- These double chocolate zucchini brownies work with a variety of gluten free flour blends. However, the texture will vary slightly with different brands. If the batter is too thick, add a bit more water. Different flour blends soak up moisture differently, so if your batter is too thick or dry, just adjust until it looks like brownie batter.
- Be sure to line the pan with parchment paper so that it’s easy to remove the cooled brownies from the pan.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before removing them and slicing them.
👩🏻🍳 Are you ready to learn more about gluten free and vegan baking? Join my community today and get emails with delicious recipes that really work!
Store leftover brownies in an airtight container. They should stay fresh for about 4 days.
You can freeze these if you like. Layer the brownies in a freezer safe container with waxed paper in between them. They should stay fresh frozen for up to 3 months.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Brownies (Gluten Free, Vegan).
- ½ cup dairy free dark chocolate chips
- 5 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- ½ cup shredded zucchini be sure to squeeze out the excess water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup organic cane sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup gluten free flour blend
- ½ cup oat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup dairy free chocolate chips optional for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper so that it hangs over two sides.
- Place the vegan buttery spread and the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 60 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- Add the sugar, shredded zucchini, and vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Add the gluten free flour blend, cocoa powder, salt, and water. Stir until smooth and combined.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Use a piece of waxed paper to press it down firmly. Sprinkle the ¼ cup of dairy free chocolate chips on top. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool for at least one hour before cutting. Enjoy!