Peppered cashew flour crackers are a delicious snack to make at home! Enjoy these crispy vegan crackers plain or with a dip or spread!
So, it looks like this is the last cashew recipe you will see on my blog. Remember Baby Bee’s bad reaction to cashew flour a couple of weeks ago?
Well, we went to the allergist this week to do skin testing to confirm his allergy to cashews, and he is most definitely allergic. Due to the size of his reaction (the bump and redness on his back were pretty extreme from the skin test), I was told that it is not safe for us to have any tree nuts at all in our house. So I have been cleaning out our kitchen…I’ve removed the almond flour, all tree nuts for baking, and the almond milk from our fridge.
I have to admit, this new development is sort of daunting. I wasn’t expecting a nut allergy…no one in my family has a nut allergy, or any food allergy for that matter. But it will be okay. We have our Epi-Pens, and we are going to be very careful to avoid any product that has any risk of tree nut cross contamination. I just feel bad for the poor little guy, because a cashew allergy is so serious. It makes me a little nervous. Actually, to be honest, I was very freaked out at first. There just seem to be so many places that cross contamination can happen.
But we will get used to this change. One thing that is bothering me is what milk should we drink? We don’t do dairy here, and I LOVE almond milk. What’s your favorite non-dairy, non-nut milk?
So, on to these peppered cashew flour crackers. I made these about a month ago, and they were delicious.
Now, if you are like me, and have a nut allergy in your house, you can easily substitute more whole spelt flour for the cashew flour. If you haven’t made crackers before, it is so easy! You should definitely give it a try. Just make sure that you roll the dough out very thin, and then keep an eye on them while they are baking. Because the dough is so thin, it’s easy for the crackers to get too well done.
Peppered Cashew Flour Crackers.
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Add the water and melted vegan buttery spread and stir until the dough forms a ball.
- Put the dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment paper on top, and roll the dough out very thin. Peel back the top sheet of parchment paper and remove.
- Using the parchment paper on the bottom of the dough, move the dough to a cookie sheet.
- Score the dough using a very sharp knife. I made my crackers about one inch square.
- Sprinkle a bit of water on the crackers and smooth it over the surface. Sprinkle with sea salt,
- Bake at 400 degrees for about ten minutes. Once the crackers cool, break them apart.
- Store in an airtight container. Makes about 50 crackers.
Anyway, there you go! Delicious homemade crackers. That’s a fun little project for you this weekend!
Do any of you have a tree nut allergy in your family?