That being said, I feel like I need to post this recipe for chocolate chip pumpkin cake today, before pumpkin recipe season is totally over, and peppermint/cocoa/sugar cookie season is here for real. And I also need to share a few photos of the gorgeous
Michigan fall color we had a few weeks ago.
The cold winds whipped everything off the trees over the past week or so, but I wanted to preserve some of the pretty red, orange, and gold leaves on the pages of this blog. It was so pretty! I miss all that color – now we are surrounded by bare branches and grey skies, which will be beautiful as well, once they are covered with fluffy white snow.
Anyway, on to this pumpkin cake recipe! This has been declared the favorite cake around these parts lately. My son loves it, and when I make it, it gets gobbled up in no time flat. I’ve tried it with both spelt flour and a gluten free flour blend, and it works with both. It will not rise quite as high with the GF flour. It is a very moist cake regardless of what flour you choose, and would be a delicious addition to a Thanksgiving dessert buffet.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake.
Pumpkin chocolate chip cake is a wonderfully easy fall dessert. This recipe is dairy free and egg free.
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour Gluten free flour works in this recipe, if you need it to be gluten free. When I have made this with GF flour, it has been a bit more moist, and not risen quite as high
- 3/4 cups organic cane sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup organic canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9 glass pan with parchment paper if desired. This isn’t required, but if you wanted to pull the whole cake out of the pan to place on a serving tray, it would make things a lot easier.
Sift together the dry ingredients with a fork.
Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar, pumpkin puree, and water. Mix together by hand, and don’t overmix. Stir in vegan chocolate chips.
Pour into a 9×9 square Pyrex dish and bake at 350 degrees for 32 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Dairy Free Buttercream Frosting. - October 14, 2017
- Easy Dairy Free Pumpkin Muffins (Gluten Free, Vegan). - October 9, 2017
- Red Pepper White Bean Dip. - October 3, 2017