A fragrant and wonderful curried red lentil soup recipe – just the thing to warm up on cool evenings!
When the cooler weather hits, I start planning for all my cozy comfort food recipes. There’s nothing that I like more in the fall and winter than a delicious pot of soup simmering on the stove.
I love lentil soups. I love green lentil soup, and black lentil soup, and red lentil soup. I especially love curried red lentil soup. There’s something about red lentils and vegetables that just works so well with the spicy curry powder. It’s warm and cozy and spicy and comforting. And it’s healthy, too! This version is vegan, gluten free, and top 8 allergen free.
This curried red lentil soup is:
- perfect for vegetarians or vegans
- naturally gluten free
- spicy, fragrant, and delicious
- wonderful in the winter months
Curried Red Lentil Soup.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 1/2 cups baby carrots chopped
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups red lentils picked over and rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- Place the olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in a large soup pot. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Add the red lentils, broth, water, curry powder, cumin, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook until the lentils and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Add the non-dairy milk and stir.
- Serve immediately.
I like this red lentil soup recipe because there’s a lot of leeway. Out of carrots? Add red peppers. No celery? Just leave it out. You can customize this soup to suit your needs!