Roasted sweet potatoes and refried beans are wrapped in crispy fried tortillas to make a delectable dinner!
Oh Monday, here you are yet again…with your chilly winds and grey skies.
Actually, I’m happy to see another Monday, because that means we are getting through winter and heading to SPRING! Can you even believe it? The first day of Spring is only 25 days away. That gives me hope, even though we are still in the negative temps over here.
I was in a bit of a blah mood this weekend, and most food was sounding sort of boring. (That happens to me in the winter!) I decided to roast some sweet potatoes, (because those ALWAYS sound good), and the next thing I knew, we had a pile of crispy, melty, delicious quesadillas.
And is there anything better to take away the winter blahs than a nice creamy, crunchy, comforting meal? I think not. This easy recipe is sure to become a family favorite.
Now, maybe you’re saying, quesadillas? So what. Big deal. But it IS a big deal when you can’t eat wheat or dairy.
It took a long time for me to realize that there were awesome gluten free tortillas available, and to figure out that the Daiya cheese blocks melt into very realistic cheesy goodness that’s perfect for quesadilla making.
Prior to those discoveries, I just stuck to tacos. And in the crunchy shells, thank you very much. But if you can get your hands on the Rudi’s gluten free tortillas, you won’t believe how much they taste like regular tortillas. And they get so nice and crispy and browned when you fry them. Yum.
These were so, so, so good. If you don’t have food allergies, then you still must make these, but just use your favorite tortillas and regular pepper jack cheese.
The sweet potatoes and refried beans add a ton of fiber to these quesadillas, as well as some iron and lots of vitamin A. I like to top these with guacamole or avocado slices.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Bean Quesadillas.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 4 gluten free tortillas
- refried beans
- Daiya Jalapeno Havarti cheese block sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the sweet potatoes, olive oil, cumin and sea salt in a glass baking dish. Roast the sweet potatoes for about 40 minutes, until they are tender and lightly caramelized on the edges.
- Once the potatoes are done, heat a half tablespoon of vegan buttery spread in a skillet over medium heat. Place one tortilla in the pan, and spread refried beans over half of it.
- Layer the roasted sweet potatoes on top.* Place two pieces of the Jalapeno Havarti Daiya Cheese on top. Fold the tortilla over and press flat with a spatula.
- Cook until the tortilla is golden brown on one side, then filp over. Cook until golden brown on the other side and cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Slice quesadillas and serve with avocado.
- *Depending on the size of your sweet potatoes, you may have some left over. They are delicious to enjoy on the side.
These are warm and filling – the perfect lunch for after a morning of playing in the snow!
How was your weekend? Are you counting down the days to Spring like me?