Roasted veggie black bean bowls are a perfect gluten free and vegan lunch! Healthy, filling, and savory!
I’ve made this for lunch three times now, so I thought it was high time to take a picture and share the recipe with you.
I’ve been craving beans, and for some reason this little combo of black beans, brown rice, mushrooms, carrots, and onions has really been hitting the spot lately. The ingredients are simple, but put them all together in one bowl and you have a healthy, delicious lunch, and a happy Kelly.
When I make a meal like this, with protein packed beans, and lots of flavor from the veggies, I find that I don’t miss meat at all. We try to have at least a few meatless meals each week. The only thing about these roasted veggie black bean bowls is that you have to kind of coordinate the timing. I slice everything up first, then start the rice. Cooking the rice and roasting the carrots and onions takes the longest amount of time. You can prepare the beans and the mushrooms while everything else is cooking.
Feel free to substitute your favorite beans or rice, and of course you can change the veggies around, too.
These roasted veggie black bean bowls are:
- naturally gluten free and vegan
- allergy friendly
- a perfect lunch or dinner recipe
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Roasted Veggie Black Bean Bowls.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Set aside a ¼ cup of the onions. Place the remaining sliced onions and carrots on a cookie sheet and drizzle liberally with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Put the cookie sheet in the oven, and cook until the carrots and onions are tender and browned on the edges, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the brown rice according to package directions.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the ¼ cup of onions in a tablespoon of olive oil. Let the onion soften, then add the 2 cans of beans and about a half cup of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes, then set aside to cool off a little bit.
- In a separate pan, cook the mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat. (You could also roast them in the oven, but for some reason I prefer the flavor of sauteeing them). Cook until brown and a little bit fried in some parts. Add salt and pepper.
- Once the beans have cooled a bit, use an immersion blender to puree them. You can make them super smooth, or leave some whole beans in there, it's up to you.
- To serve, put cooked brown rice in each bowl and top with black beans, roasted carrots and onions, and mushrooms. Sprinkle chopped green onion on top. Season with extra salt and pepper if desired.
That’s all there is to it. These black bean veggie bowls are simple, but taste so good! And it’s good for you, so how can you go wrong? :)