This spinach strawberry salad is topped with a sweet poppy seed dressing. A light, colorful, and fresh salad for the warm weather!
The other night I was making dinner and I started to cut up a cauliflower when a big bug crawled out.
:: Shudder ::
It was horrifying! I had the produce bag it came in nearby, so I wrapped the cauliflower AND the bug up and threw the bag outside. (Just for reference, whenever anything gross or strange happens in the kitchen – (ants on the floor, scary spider, meat that went bad before its date) – I bag it up and put it outside. Then Darryl comes home and deals with it. :)
Anyway, the bug. So gross! It was big, and it came crawling out super fast, like, why are you cutting up my home?! It was ready to fight. And I was thinking, Am I living in the Twilight Zone? What’s going on? And then I was all itchy and jittery for like an hour afterward.
I know that was apropos of nothing, but maybe it will explain why you will not be seeing any cauliflower recipes around here for a while. Which is too bad, because I LOVE cauliflower. Oh well, once I get over my fear of finding more bugs, I will be back in the cauliflower business again.
Do you have the jitters now? Here, look at this lovely spinach strawberry salad:
That’s better, right?
I love a good spinach salad. And I really love it with fruit – it just says summer to me. Berries and spinach just go together, like PB+J, you know? Plus, eating vitamin C with spinach helps your body absorb the iron more easily, so this salad is tasty and extra good for you! Plus, it’s so easy to whip up. Just a few ingredients, and a simple but delicious dressing that you can make really quickly. Perfect for lazy summer days.
This spinach strawberry salad with poppy seed dressing is:
- full of vitamin c
- fresh and healthy
- a perfect way to use summer produce
- quick to prepare – great for last minute gatherings
- naturally gluten free
Disclosure: This post contains afiliate links.
Spinach Strawberry Salad with Orange Poppy Seed Dressing.
- 5 ounces baby spinach rinsed and drained
- 12 strawberries sliced
- 1 apple chopped - I used Granny Smith here, but Honeycrisp is a good choice if you want a sweeter apple
For the Dressing:
- ½ cup organic canola oil or another neutral tasting oil
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 ½ Tablespoons organic cane sugar You may need more or less depending on how sweet your strawberries are
- ½ Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 Tablespoons sweet onion very finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder optional
- Prepare the dressing: Place the organic canola oil, orange juice, sugar ,poppy seeds, chopped onion, salt, and mustard powder in a jar with a lid. Shake well until combined.
- In a large bowl, place the spinach, sliced strawberries, and diced apples. Toss to combine.
- Pour ⅔ of the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Add the remaining dressing if desired, or place on the table so more dressing can be added to individual servings if desired.
If you’re looking for another way to use fresh strawberries, try this vegan strawberry shortcake recipe.
Here’s to a summer with more salads and less bugs! :)