This vegan chocolate chip zucchini snack cake is deliciously light and fluffy, and loaded with chocolate chips. This simple cake is the perfect way to use up some garden zucchini!
We’re heading into garden season soon, and I just can’t wait to start harvesting all that summertime produce!
We love to grow peppers, tomatoes, herbs, and zucchini. Zucchini is delicious in so many different baked goods! I love to shred it and include it in recipes like chocolate zucchini muffins, zucchini spice cupcakes, and of course, this easy vegan chocolate chip snack cake.
Adding shredded zucchini to cake or cupcakes is a great way to keep these desserts moist, plus it’s a nice way to sneak some veggies into your family. If you have a picky eater in your family, you know it can be tricky to get them to eat anything green.
This vegan zucchini cake is easy to make with simple ingredients. It doesn’t take long at all to make, and it’s perfect on its own or with a scoop of dairy free ice cream.
- Flour – I used a mix of white spelt flour and whole spelt flour. You could use all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour if you like. If you want to use a gluten free flour blend, use a lighter blend that doesn’t contain any gums.
- Oil – You can use coconut oil, canola oil, or melted vegan buttery spread.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips – I like the mini chocolate chips from Enjoy Life, but you could use regular size chips or chocolate chunks. PASCHA also makes allergy friendly chocolate chips.
- Zucchini – You can shred the zucchini with a grater or use the food processor. You will need to squeeze the excess liquid out of the shredded zucchini so that it doesn’t make the cake too wet.
Tips for Success
- Line the pan with parchment paper so that it hangs over two sides of the pan. That will make it easy to remove the cake from the pan once it’s cool.
- Make sure to squeeze out the liquid from the zucchini before adding it to the batter.
- Wait until the cake is cool to cut it so that the slices come out neatly.
- Try white chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate chips.
- Top this cake with vegan chocolate frosting for an added layer of decadence.
- Use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar if you prefer.
More Vegan Cake Recipes
- Vegan Chocolate Cake with Warm Chocolate Sauce
- Vegan Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- Apple Spice Cake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Zucchini Snack Cake.
- 1 ½ cups white spelt flour or all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole spelt flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar coconut sugar is also okay
- ⅓ cup organic canola oil or melted vegan buttery spread
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup grated zucchini about 1.5 small zucchini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅜ cup water
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch square baking dish, or line it with parchment paper so that the paper hangs over two sides.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
Squeeze the excess liquid out of the shredded zucchini.
Add the zucchini, canola oil, applesauce, vanilla extract, vinegar, and water to the dry ingredients, and stir together. Add the chocolate chips and stir again.
Pour batter into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top if desired.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Store leftover cake tightly covered at room temperature. It should stay fresh for about 4 days.