A delicious slice of gluten free apple spice cake is just the thing for a chilly fall morning! This moist and flavorful cake is made with simple ingredients, and it’s dairy free, egg free, and nut free, too!
Fall is just around the corner. The weather will start to cool off, the leaves will start to turn, and then it’s time for all the tasty fall recipes.
With fall coming soon, there’s sure to be a day where you wake up on a crisp Saturday morning and think, “Hmm…this feels like a fall baking day. I just wish my house smelled like cinnamon and nutmeg this morning!”
When that happens, this is the apple cake recipe for you.
This cake is so easy to make – just one bowl, and you don’t need a mixer. The ingredients are simple and straightforward, and the apple spice flavor is so delicious for dessert or even a weekend breakfast. The ease of this recipe makes it perfect for last minute entertaining! Need an allergy friendly dessert for a party? Whip this up in a hurry.
What gluten free flour is best for this recipe?
I like to use my homemade gluten free flour blend in this recipe, but you can use regular flour, or another gluten free flour blend that suits your needs. Try to use a gluten free flour blend that doesn’t contain xanthan gum, so that the cake stays light and not too dense.
If you use a grain free flour like almond meal or coconut flour, the cake will be quite dense. For that reason, I don’t recommend grain free flours in this recipe.
Can I make this recipe into muffins or cupcakes?
I suspect that this gluten free apple spice cake recipe would work well as muffins, too, although I haven’t tried it that way yet. If you do decide to go that route, be sure to reduce the baking time significantly, and keep an eye on them. I would start with 15 minutes or so and then watch them if they aren’t done at that point.
Can this cake be frozen?
Yes, I think this would freeze well. If you are freezing the whole cake or individual portions, wrap in plastic wrap and then wrap well in foil. It should stay fresh for up to 3 months.
Variations on this recipe:
- use brown sugar instead of coconut sugar
- use pumpkin puree instead of applesauce
- top with dairy free buttercream frosting
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Gluten Free Apple Spice Cake.
- 2 cups gluten free flour can use all purpose flour or another gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup coconut sugar brown sugar is okay
- ⅓ cup organic canola oil or melted vegan buttery spread
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- one apple about ¾ cup, peeled and shredded *
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ⅜ cup water
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded apple, unsweetened applesauce, organic canola oil, water, vanilla extract, and vinegar. Stir well.
- Add the sugars and stir to combine. Add the gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, an ginger. Mix well.
- Pour batter in an 8x8 square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 28-32 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely, then dust with powdered sugar.
I hope you love this apple spice cake as much as my family does! Is there anything better than the smell of spice cake throughout the house?
This recipe was originally published in September 2016. It has been updated.