Start your weekend with a pan of light and fluffy dairy free cinnamon rolls. These are easy to make and such a treat! Perfect for a brunch or special occasion. The swirls of cinnamon and the creamy icing make these hard to resist.
We love cinnamon rolls at our house. They are a frequent request on the weekend, or on a snow day, or really on any day.
We also love to make them on Christmas morning as a special tradition – there’s nothing better than warm cinnamon buns and vegan hot chocolate after opening presents.
Of course, anything cinnamon flavored is a big hit at our house. Cookies, apple crisp, pumpkin coffee cake, or this gluten free vegan apple spice cake – those will disappear right away around here. But cinnamon buns are a special treat, especially since you really can’t go to a bakery to get them when you have food allergies.
This recipe is free of dairy, eggs, soy, tree nuts, and peanuts – allergens that you will likely find at any traditional bakery.
We like to use spelt flour for these dairy free cinnamon rolls, because my boys can tolerate spelt flour. They can’t tolerate wheat, or all-purpose flour, so we avoid that.
Spelt flour is NOT gluten free. If you need to have a gluten free cinnamon roll recipe, you may want to check this one out.
- Dairy Free Milk – Use whatever dairy free milk works for your diet. I like neutral tasting milks best, like unsweetened coconut milk or rice milk, but you could use oat milk, flax milk, or any other milk that works for you. You can even use water for the icing if you wish.
- Spelt Flour – Spelt isn’t gluten free. It is an ancient grain that contains some gluten, although it does contain less gluten than regular wheat. Spelt is not safe for those with celiac disease. All-purpose flour would also work well in this recipe.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – I used Soy Free Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread. You can use a different brand if that works for you.
- Powdered Sugar – We use Wholesome Brand Sweeteners Powdered Sugar to make the dairy free buttercream frosting that goes on top of these cinnamon rolls. All the sugars made by this company are vegan.
Tips for Working with Yeast
- This dough only needs to rise one time. These rolls are perfectly fluffy with just one rise. You do need to use instant yeast – we prefer Fleischmann’s Rapid Rise Instant Yeast.
- Make sure you allow the dough to rise in a warm room. If your kitchen is too chilly, you can use your oven as a proofing box – that’s what I have to do at my house in the winter.
Step by Step Directions
- When you mix the dough, it will come together into a ball. Then you’ll need to cover the bowl and keep it in a warm place for at least 45 minutes. If your house is cold, it may take a little longer.
- After the dough has risen, it will look like this (very puffy and light):
- Roll out the dough, and then add the melted vegan buttery spread, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Use your hands to carefully roll the dough up.
- Slice the log with a sharp knife, and place the rolls into a baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes.
- Make a simple glaze with powdered sugar, vegan buttery spread, and non-dairy milk. Drizzle over the warm cinnamon rolls. Enjoy!
Time Saving Tips
I have eliminated some steps over the years as I have experimented with this recipe. For example, I use the microwave to heat the water, I add the sugar, yeast, salt, and vegan buttery spread all at once, and I don’t oil the bowl before the dough rises.
These vegan cinnamon rolls still turn out perfectly even with those few steps simplified. We food allergy moms have enough on our plates! Anytime I can simplify my cooking or baking routine, I do so.
These are so super easy, and your family will love them!
Store leftover rolls in an airtight container. They are best if eaten within 2 days.
Yes, yeast is vegan. It’s a member of the fungus family. You can read more about it here.
I haven’t tried that, so I’m not sure. If you try it, please let me know!
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to make these!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Fluffy Dairy Free Cinnamon Rolls.
For the Dough:
Make the Cinnamon Rolls:
- Place the water and vegan buttery spread in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. The water should be warm, but not too hot – about 110 degrees.
- Once the water is warm, add the sugar and the yeast packet. Let it sit for about 10 minutes so the yeast can activate – it will look a little foamy.
- Add the flour and stir gently until it forms a ball of dough. If it seems dry, add a little bit more water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and set it in a warm place.
- Allow the dough to rise for 45-60 minutes. It should double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the 3 tablespoons of vegan buttery spread.
- Sprinkle a little flour on a rolling pin and the rolling surface. Roll out the dough into a long rectangle.
- Pour the melted vegan buttery spread on the dough and smooth it out. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon on it.
- Roll the dough up, starting from a long side. You should have a long log of dough. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 9 sections.
- Place the cinnamon rolls swirl side up, into an 9×9 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Make the Icing:
- In a mixing bowl, beat the vegan buttery spread, powdered sugar, and non-dairy milk.
- Once the cinnamon rolls are done, allow them to cool for a little bit. Spread the icing on top before serving.