Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy…
Oh, oops! No singing until later tonight!
So it’s my birthday today, and I am about to start baking my own birthday cake. (German Chocolate without eggs, I hope it turns out okay!) But I wanted to pop in real quick and share a recipe that is so easy and kind of healthy, and very chocolatey. What’s a birthday without chocolate? Not very happy I would say. :)
I’ve always heard of avocado pudding, and wondered if it would actually be good, so when I noticed we had a few extra ripe avocados, I decided to give it a whirl. Literally. In my new blender. I didn’t have a recipe, I just pulled a few ingredients out and blended them up, and surprise! Avocado chocolate pudding is good. Very good, actually.
See? Looks just like regular chocolate pudding! You can’t taste the avocado, it just adds a really nice creaminess. And of course it adds some nice nutritional benefits as well, like lots of good, healthy fats. Dessert without the guilt.
One small note about this recipe: You do need to make sure that the avocado is perfectly ripe. An under ripe avocado won’t work, because it won’t be able to be blended down into a creamy consistency, and an overripe avocado also won’t work, because it won’t taste good.
You need the avocado to be just right. No brown spots or streaks inside – don’t try it – it won’t work!
- 1 medium avocado, ripe
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons honey for Paleo diet OR 2 Tablespoons agave nectar for vegans
- 6 Tablespoons almond milk
- optional: pistachios or other nut for topping
- Cut open the avocado and scoop out the pit. Cut it into large chunks and put in the blender.
- Add the cocoa, honey or agave, and almond milk. Blend, starting on low and then moving to high speed until it is smooth.
- If the avocado is larger, you will need a bit more of each ingredient. If it is too thick, drizzle in a bit more almond milk. Add more cocoa or honey or agave to taste.
- Refrigerate the pudding and serve cold. Top with pistachios or other nuts. Enjoy!
Now I’m off to enjoy my day! Darryl has the day off, and we will have a nice family day, and then we are planning to go out to dinner tonight, just the two of us. Have a great weekend!
Follow my Paleo Desserts Board on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Testing 3 Different Gluten Free Flour Brands in a Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. - September 26, 2016
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. - September 22, 2016
- Self Care for Food Allergy Moms – 5 Simple Tips. - September 21, 2016