These banana chocolate chip cookies are soft, chewy, and delicious. Perfect for packing in lunches!
Last week we took a belated and much-needed vacation to Grand Haven, Michigan. We did something new this time, we rented an apartment rather than staying in a hotel. It was such a good choice for us! One of the most stressful things for me when we are on vacation is worrying about finding safe places to eat. It’s so tricky when you are dealing with food allergies – not every place is as careful as I’d like them to be.
Since we had the apartment though, we were able to make meals for ourselves. And we did eat out as well, but there wasn’t the pressure of “Oh no, we need to figure out lunch AND dinner again today! Where do we go?” It was just a much more relaxed situation since we had a place to cook.
Before we left, I decided to bake some cookies for the road. What’s a road trip without cookies, right?
These are SUPER simple. I used a ripe banana (lots of brown spots on the peel, but not total mush inside), and it really gave these cookies great flavor. I used gluten free flour (the Enjoy Life all-purpose blend), and they held together very nicely. These would also work well with spelt flour or all-purpose flour.
- 1 ripe banana
- ¼ cup vegan buttery spread, softened
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅔ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the ripe banana in a mixing bowl and use a fork to mash it well.
- Add the coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and softened buttery spread. Stir well until combined.
- Add the gluten free flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir well, then add the dairy free chocolate chips and stir again.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
How do you handle food allergy needs when on vacation?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simply Delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. - February 23, 2017
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017