Creamy, dreamy, three ingredient dairy free fudge. This recipe is the perfect way to indulge your holiday sweet tooth!
Every once in a while, I ask my readers what recipes they really miss now that they are gluten/dairy/nut/egg/whatever free. One of the last times I asked, I had a reader on my Facebook page share that she really misses fudge, and that she thought it was impossible to make a good fudge without dairy.
Well, I love a good challenge, and after a few tries, I came up with a recipe that’s super easy – it only requires three ingredients!
To make this delicious dairy free fudge, you’ll need:
- a can of full fat coconut milk
- some dairy free chocolate chips
- powdered sugar
This fudge is decadent but not over poweringly sugary and sweet. When I’ve eaten normal fudge in the past, to me, it was too sweet. The sugary quality was a bit too much for my taste buds. This dairy free version is everything I think fudge should be – rich, creamy, melt-in-your-mouth, and very chocolatey.
I remembered that sweetened condensed milk is often an ingredient in easy fudge recipes, so I wanted to come up with a good substitution for that ingredient. I found that using full fat coconut milk and whisking in some powdered sugar worked very well.
I’ve tried this recipe with various brands of coconut milk, and it really works the best when the coconut milk has guar gum in it, like Taste of Thai brand. The gum seems to help the fudge solidify and hold its shape better. It will not set up right when you use a coconut milk without gum.
Note: This section contains affiliate links.
I prefer a dark chocolate fudge, so I did use dark chocolate chips (the 85% bittersweet chips from PASCHA). Some chocolate chips contain extra oils and more sugar, and I do not know for sure how they would work in this fudge. The darker the chocolate the better.
UPDATE: I have made this a few different times now with varying ingredients. This recipe DOES work with the PASCHA chips I mentioned above, as well as the Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels. It does NOT work with the Enjoy Life Mini Chips.
I use Taste of Thai brand coconut milk. It has worked everytime I used that brand. I also use powdered sugar from Whole Foods or Target that is made with tapioca starch, not cornstarch. I don’t know if that makes a difference, but we avoid lots of corn in our diet, so that’s what we have in our pantry.
Another tip: You must line the pan with parchment paper if you want to be able to remove the slab of fudge and cut it into neat squares.
- 1 can (13.5 fluid ounces) full fat coconut milk (I used Taste of Thai brand)
- ¾ cup confectioner's sugar (I use corn free confectioner's sugar)
- 3 cups dairy free dark chocolate chips - PASCHA 85% Bittersweet chips, or Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels
- Line an 8x8 inch square pan with parchment paper so that there is an overhang on two sides.
- Place the coconut milk in a sauce pan and heat over medium low heat, just until it starts to stem a little bit. Sift in the confectioner's sugar and whisk to combine. Do not overheat or boil.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir well until fully melted. This will happen quickly, don't burn the chocolate.
- Pour into the prepared pan and spread out evenly with a spatula. Let it cool for about 30 minutes on the counter.
- Place in the refrigerator for two hours or until the fudge is firm.
- Use the parchment paper to remove the fudge from the pan, then slice into squares.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Do you have a favorite recipe that you’d like to see an allergy friendly version of? Let me know in the comments!
Follow my Dairy Free board on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!