Chocolate coconut thumbprint cookies are a chocolatey treat that’s grain free! These easy gluten free cookies are perfect for a party, bake sale, or any occasion. A chewy coconut base and a rich chocolate filling make this recipe a winner.
When I think of thumbprint cookies, I think of the sugar cookies with the little dot of jam in the middle. And those are fine, but I wanted to make something that was decadent, chocolatey, and even better, made with simple grain free ingredients.
These grain free chocolate coconut thumbprint cookies are super easy to whip up, and they are a slightly healthier dessert option. Naturally gluten free, dairy free, and grain free, these cookies are suitable for a variety of special diets.
The base of these thumbprint cookies isn’t too sweet, but the chocolate filling gives it that extra richness that makes these irresistible.
- Ground Flax Seed Meal – Ground flax seed meal plus water makes a perfect flax seed egg replacer. This will help bind the cookies together.
- Coconut Flakes – Unsweetened, finely shredded coconut flakes work best for this recipe. If you can’t eat coconut, you could try oats instead.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips – Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips work really well for a simple chocolate filling. If you have a different brand that you prefer, feel free to use it!
- Coconut Sugar – Coconut sugar works well in this recipe, but you could also use date sugar or regular brown sugar.
Step by Step Instructions
- Mix up the cookie dough and roll into balls. Use your thumb to make a little indentation for the filling. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- Once the cookies are done baking and cooling, you’ll need to melt the dairy free chocolate chips in the microwave.
- Use a spoon to fill each cookie with melted chocolate chips. Then refrigerate so that the filling solidifies.
- sprinkle pumpkin seeds or toasted coconut flakes on top
- drizzle dairy free white chocolate over the dark chocolate
- add some ground pumpkin seeds to the batter for a little crunch
Store your leftover cookies in the refrigerator – they will keep for 4-5 days. I haven’t tried freezing these, but I think that could work. They should stay fresh in the freezer for about 3 months.
Learn how to make the best, most delicious holiday cookies with these easy recipes. This is a great way to simplify your holiday baking! LEARN MORE…
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Chocolate Coconut Thumbprint Cookies (Grain Free).
For the topping:
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate chips melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the flax seed meal with the water and set aside until it becomes a thick gel.
- Mix the flax eggs, coconut oil, cocoa powder, and sugar together.
- Add the unsweetened coconut and two tablespoons of melted chocolate chips, and stir until combined.
- Roll into balls and place on the cookie sheet. Press your thumb into the center of each cookie to make an indentation.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely on the cookie sheet.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for one minute, then in 10 second intervals until melted and smooth. Once the cookies are completely cool, fill each thumbprint with melted chocolate chips.
- Makes 12-14 cookies.