These easy vegan corn muffins are the perfect side to serve at a barbecue or Sunday dinner. These tasty muffins are light, delicious, and always disappear quickly.
Sometimes, you just need a good corn muffin. Whether you’ve made a big pot of vegan chili, or if you’re hosting a family dinner, these vegan corn muffins are just the thing to serve on the side.
If you’re used to making cornbread with eggs and buttermilk, you might be surprised to learn that you can make tender and delicious corn muffins without those ingredients. Applesauce is used in place of the eggs, and a generous portion of baking powder is used to help these muffins rise.
The texture of these is just right, and kids and adults love them. Top them with vegan buttery spread or even a bit of your favorite jam.
- Sugar – These muffins are slightly sweet, due to the addition of organic cane sugar. You can try maple syrup if you wish, but the texture of the muffin may be slightly different. You could also use coconut sugar, but the color of the muffins will be darker.
- Cornmeal – There are many different brands and types of cornmeal available. For this recipe, I recommend using a brand that is not too coarsely ground. A medium grind, like Bob’s Red Mill or Quaker brand will work the best for these muffins.
- Non-Dairy Milk – You can use any non-dairy milk that works for your dietary needs. I recommend a neutral tasting non-dairy milk for the best flavor in these muffins.
- Baking Powder – This is a key ingredient! Once you add the baking powder and stir the batter, you’ll see how the batter puffs up (check out the photo below). Gently spoon the batter into the muffin pan, and put them in the oven.
Store leftover muffins in an airtight container. They should stay fresh for about 4 days.
You can freeze these if you like – store in a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Learn to make SAFE, tasty food for your family. Join my community today and start getting all my best tips, tricks, and allergy friendly recipes in your inbox.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Easy Vegan Corn Muffins.
- 1 ½ cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup white spelt flour or all-purpose flour, or a gluten free flour blend*
- 3 Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt
- 5 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 6 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread melted
- 1 ⅛ cup non-dairy milk I used So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup corn kernels optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, organic cane sugar, sea salt, and baking powder.
- Add the applesauce, melted vegan buttery spread, and non-dairy milk. Add the corn kernels if desired.
- Stir ingredients until combined. Let the batter sit for a few minutes – you will see the baking powder react, and the batter will puff up.
- Gently spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 16-19 minutes. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing.