This chocolate and vanilla ice cream tartufo is coated with chocolate cookie crumbs and has a cherry inside. Eating ice cream doesn’t get any more fun than this!
Disclosure: By posting this recipe, I am entering a contest sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free and Go Dairy Free. I received free products to help create my recipe. I was not compensated for my time.
For today’s recipe, we’re taking a little trip back in time…to my younger years when I was a grad student. I attended the College-Conservatory of Music at the University of Cincinnati, and one of the best parts of my education there was being able to participate in their summer festival, the Opera Theatre of Lucca.
For five weeks, I lived in the charming Tuscan town of Lucca and performed in chamber ensembles as well as the opera orchestra. It was heavenly. The people, the food, the music, the scenery…it was such a special summer.
I could go on and on for ages about all the amazing food I ate that summer, but today I’m going to share a special dessert that stands out in my mind. Aside from all the gelato I ate, sometimes twice a day! ;)
The dessert that I decided to recreate for you is a tartufo. A tartufo is essentially two flavors of ice cream molded around frozen fruit or jam in the center, and then coated in cocoa powder, cinnamon, or in this case, cookie crumbs. There was just something about being served a lovely tartufo after dinner and cutting into it and seeing the different flavors inside. It’s like a sweet little surprise inside dessert.
When I was invited to create a recipe for this summer’s recipe contest sponsored by So Delicious and Go Dairy Free, I immediately thought of recreating a tartufo recipe with my two favorite flavors of So Delicious Coconut Milk Frozen Dessert. We always have pints of vanilla and chocolate in our freezer – my boys get very antsy if they think we’re running low on their favorite summer flavors. :)
The neat thing about the tartufo is that you can customize it! Put a raspberry in the center, coat the outside with cocoa powder or even graham cracker crumbs. The choice is yours! This is my favorite combination – cherry n the center, vanilla, chocolate, and then cookie crumbs on the outside for the perfect bit of crunch. .
This is a fun dessert for a summer party or any special occasion! You could even make mini versions for a fun treat!
Try making a dairy free tartufo today! It’s:
- creamy and crunchy
- a special treat for a special occasion
- perfect for a birthday party
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Chocolate and Vanilla Tartufo Recipe.
- 2 sweet cherries pitted
- ⅔ cup So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk Dairy Free Frozen Dessert
- 1 ½ cups So Delicious Chocolate Coconut Milk Dairy Free Frozen Dessert
- 5 chocolate sandwich cookies*
- Set the So Delicious Frozen Desserts out to soften (not too melty, just soft enough so you can scoop and shape them easily).
- Place the cookies in a food processor and process until fine crumbs are formed. Pour these into a shallow bowl.
- To assemble the tartufos: Take ⅓ cup of the vanilla flavor and place it on a piece of waxed paper. Divide it in half and place one cherry in the middle, then press the frozen dessert around the cherry. Wrap it in waxed paper, twisting the paper at the top, making sure the frozen dessert forms a ball.
- Take a clean piece of waxed paper and place the vanilla ball on it. Scoop out ¾ cup of the chocolate frozen dessert and mold it around the vanilla ball. I found it was easiest to use an ice cream scoop to scoop out smallish scoops, then I used my hands and the waxed paper to form a layer around the vanilla center.
- Wrap the ball up in waxed paper, and use the paper and your hands to form a ball.
- Repeat these steps with the rest of the ingredients to make two tartufos.
- Place the waxed paper wrapped tartufos in the freezer to solidify for about 30 minutes.
- Place two clean sheets of waxed paper near the cookie crumbs. Remove the tartufos from the freezer, and unwrap one, placing it in the cookie crumbs. Roll it around to completely coat it, then place it on a clean sheet of waxed paper, wrap it up and place it in the freezer again. Repeat with the other tartufo.
- Freeze until very firm, about 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the waxed paper, serve, and enjoy!
I know this tartufo recipe looks like a lot of steps, but it really isn’t too bad! Don’t worry, just have fun with this recipe – it really doesn’t have to be perfect to be fun and delicious!