Treat yourself to a gluten free chocolate mug cake! It’s an easy recipe that you can enjoy when you want a quick but indulgent treat.
Sometimes, you just need to treat yourself.
You might just have a chocolate craving, or maybe you need to make a quick dessert, but don’t want a whole cake sitting around.
This gluten free chocolate mug cake is just the thing to make!
Can a mug cake made in the microwave really taste good?
Yes, surprisingly, a mug cake does taste very much like a real cake that you bake in the oven! This gluten free chocolate mug cake is rich, decadent, and has a wonderful texture. It isn’t gummy or heavy at all.
Can you make a gluten free mug cake without an egg?
Yes! This mug cake recipe is like a tiny version of my gluten free vegan chocolate cake recipe. It works very well without eggs!
The texture is just right – it has a wonderful crumb, and it’s not dense. A little bit of baking soda and vinegar works very well as an egg replacer in this recipe.
This is a recipe that has gone through lots and lots of testing – thankfully I have two very willing testers at my house!
This is our favorite version. I have also used gluten free oat flour in place of the gluten free flour blend, and it does turn out well, but the texture is a little bit heavier. (If you use oat flour, make sure that it is made from certified gluten free oats).
How do you make a gluten free mug cake?
- Combine the dry ingredients in a microwave safe mug or tea cup.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir well.
- Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top.
- Microwave for 60-70 seconds at 70% power.
If you make this mug cake, or any of my other allergy friendly recipes, please share on Instagram and tag me @prettybeeblog so I can see what you’ve made!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Gluten Free Chocolate Mug Cake (Vegan, Nut Free).
- Place the gluten free flour blend, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda in a small mug. Stir to combine.
- Add the melted vegan buttery spread, water, and vinegar. Stir again.
- Sprinkle dairy free chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Microwave for 60-70 seconds on 70% power. (You may have to experiment - every microwave is a little different!)
- Let cool for a few minutes before eating.
- Top with dairy free ice cream and berries if desired.
This gluten free chocolate mug cake is:
- decadent and rich
- perfect for treating yourself after a long day
- a great single serving dessert to make for those with food allergies
This post was originally published in October 2014. It has been updated with an improved recipe and new photos.
This post is part of my series: 31 Days of Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Soups, Salads, Sides & Sweets.