Oat flour is one of the most popular alternative grains for gluten free baking. A must-have for cookies and muffins, this flour is easy to make with a food processor or blender. Find out how to make oat flour here!
Have you tried baking with oat flour? It’s a nutritious flour that can be gluten free, as long as it’s made from certified gluten free oats.
If you’d like to try making oat flour at home, it’s actually quite easy! You can make it in a food processor or a powerful blender. This can come in handy if you are short on gluten free flour, or just want to add some extra fiber and nutrition to your baked goods.
Certified Gluten Free Oats
You can find GF Harvest Oats on Amazon. They are made in a facility that is nut free as well as free from many other allergens.
You can also get certified gluten free oats that are made in an allergen free facility from Gerbs Allergy Friendly Foods.
Some other brands of oats to check out are Zego or Arrowhead Mills.
Step by Step Instructions
- Put your certified gluten free oats into a food processor, and process on high. It will take some time for the oats to be ground down into a fine flour. If you have a mini food processor, that should work, but you’ll have to grind smaller amounts of flour at a time.
- Continue to process the oats. This is what the oats look like after 30 seconds in the food processor – they are starting to break down, but there are still some larger pieces.
- As you continue to grind the oats, after 90 seconds you will see that they are ground down into a fairly fine flour.
- If you want to make sure that there are not any larger pieces left, you can sift it with a fine mesh sieve to make sure the flour is very fine and smooth. You can store your freshly ground flour in an airtight container or ziploc bag.
How to Use Oat Flour
You can use oat flour in many different types of recipes. This flour does lend a soft texture to baked goods, so you may want to substitute it for half the amount of flour in your recipe. For example, if the recipe calls for 1 cup of gluten free flour, you can use ½ cup of oat flour, and ½ cup of gluten free flour.
You can try to substitute oat flour for the full amount of flour in the recipe, but the texture of your cakes, cookies, or muffins may be very soft, or may become crumbly. Watch the baking time as well – it may be more or less depending on what you are baking.
For more baking tips, see my guide to substitutions for vegan and gluten free baking.
Store this flour in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. It should stay fresh in your pantry for about two months. You can also freeze it – it should stay fresh in the freezer for about a year.
Recipes That Use Oat Flour
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- Blueberry Banana Pancakes
- Old Fashioned Iced Oatmeal Cookies
- No Bake Granola Bars
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Homemade Oat Flour.
You can make your own homemade oat flour with gluten free oats and a food processor.
Place the gluten free oats in food processor and process on high until the oats become a fine flour. This could take up to 90 seconds.
Sift the oats with a sieve if desired to remove any larger pieces. Store finished flour in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Two cups of gluten free oats will make 1 ½ cups oat flour.
Store oat flour in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. It should stay fresh in the pantry for about 2 months.
You can also store it in the freezer – it should stay fresh in the freezer for about a year.