Soft and chewy healthy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are a delicious dessert or snack. These cookies are great for packing in lunches!
Mmm…is there anything better than soft and chewy oatmeal cookies? They’re a classic…perfect for packing in a lunchbox or enjoying as an afternoon snack.
This oatmeal cookie recipe is one of my favorites. They’re sweet, but not too sweet, and the honey keeps them very soft and delicious.
These healthy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are dairy free and gluten free, but if you aren’t avoiding dairy, feel free to use regular dairy butter or dairy chocolate chips. I love these with dark chocolate chips, but you could use a lighter chocolate chip if you prefer.
Aside from the ground oat flour, these healthy cookies contain no flour. To increase the fiber in these cookies, oat flour is used in place of all-purpose flour. If you don’t happen to have oat flour on hand, you can easily make it by grinding a cup of oats in the food processor. Just blend on high speed until you have a fairly fine flour.
When you scoop these cookies onto the cookie sheet, you may notice that the dough is a little loose – just use your hand to mold the dough a little bit so it sticks together. Once the cookies come out of the oven, let them cool fully on the rack before moving them.
Ideas for substitutions for these healthy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies:
- you can use dairy butter in place of the vegan buttery spread
- I do not recommend oil in place of the buttery spread – that would make the cookies too oily
- if you can’t do eggs, go ahead and use another 3 tablespoons of applesauce in place of the egg
- if you want to leave the chocolate chips out, you can add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and some raisins or cranberries if you prefer
Soft and Chewy Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.
These soft and chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are a healthier choice - lower in sugar and oil and gluten free, too!
- 1/4 cup vegan buttery spread You can use dairy butter if you prefer
- 3/8 cup light brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup oat flour If you are making your own, take one cup oats and process in the food processor until finely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats Be sure to use certified gluten free oats if you need to.
- 3/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, cream together the vegan buttery spread, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth.
Add the honey and applesauce and continue to mix. Add the oat flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix on low speed.
Stir in the oats and chocolate chips. Scoop the dough onto the baking sheet using a cookie scoop. You may need to press the dough together slightly. There should be 8 cookies on a cookie sheet.
Bake for 12-14 minutes at 325 degrees. Let the cookies cool completely on the cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Makes 16 cookies.