Chewy toasted coconut oatmeal cookies are a delicious treat that’s just right for enjoying with a cup of tea or hot cocoa. These cookies are gluten free, vegan, and loaded with crispy coconut, making them irresistible!
We love cookies at our house. How about you? I find that cookies are one of the easiest treats to make allergy friendly.
If you love oatmeal cookies, I think you’ll love this version, too! These are chewy, sweet, and have a nice, crispy crunch from toasted coconut flakes. They’re just right for packing in a school lunch or enjoying with an afternoon cup of tea.
This post is part of my series, 31 Days of Comfort Food.
- vegan buttery spread
- brown sugar
- organic cane sugar
- ground flax seed meal
- gluten free flour blend
- baking soda
- gluten free old fashioned oats
- toasted coconut flakes
- Gluten Free Flour Blend – I used Namaste Perfect Flour Blend, and it worked very well in this recipe. If you have another cup for cup replacement flour blend that you like to use, it will probably be fine.
- Certified Gluten Free Oats – Make sure that your oats are certified gluten free if you have Celiac Disease or have a wheat allergy. I use GF Harvest Oats, which are available on Amazon. They are made in a nut free and allergy friendly facility.
Step by Step Instructions
- If you are toasting your own coconut, you need to do that first. Place coconut flakes on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake at 325 degrees F for about 5 minutes, until they are golden brown.
2. Mix the melted vegan buttery spread and sugars in a large bowl. Add the flax egg and vanilla.
3. Stir in the gluten free flour blend, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the oats.
4. Stir in the toasted coconut flakes.
5. Spoon the cookie dough onto a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Leave about an inch between cookies.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet before moving them.
- Try adding some dairy free chocolate chips to this recipe.
- You could also add dried cranberries or pumpkin seeds.
- If you can’t do flax seed, you can use 3 Tablespoons of mashed banana for an egg replacer. This will add a subtle banana flavor that I think would be nice!
More Coconut Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Chewy Toasted Coconut Oatmeal Cookies (Gluten Free, Vegan).
- ½ cup vegan buttery spread
- ½ cup brown sugar firmly packed
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed meal
- 3 Tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup gluten free flour blend
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- ¾ cup toasted coconut flakes You can buy them already toasted, or just toast in your oven for about 5 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Mix the ground flax seed and water in a small cup and let it sit for five minutes until it gels up.
- In a large glass bowl, melt the butter in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds, just until softened. Stir in the sugars, vanilla, and flax seed egg and mix well.
- Stir in the gluten free flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix well. Add the oats and coconut, and stir.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the parchment lined cookie sheet. Leave about an inch in between cookies.
- Bake for about 10 minutes. They will look a little bit underdone in the middle…that’s okay! They will cook a bit more on the cookie sheet as they are cooling. Let them cool on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.
- Repeats steps 4 and 5 with remaining cookie dough.