Frosted lemon sugar cookies are a classic holiday cookie that’s vegan and gluten free. This is a festive sweet treat your children will love! Use different colored sprinkles for a fun addition to the holiday cookie tray!
I love holiday baking. I know that when you have many food allergies, you might start to dread holiday baking. It can be so difficult to find tasty cookie recipes that work for your particular allergy/dietary needs. I try to include all the favorites on my site: double chocolate, cranberry, iced gingerbread, and now a classic sugar cookie.
This lemon sugar cookie recipe is a fun twist on an old favorite. If you prefer regular sugar cookies, check out my vegan gluten free sugar cookie recipe.
What kind of flour is best for vegan gluten free lemon sugar cookies?
I love Namaste Perfect Flour Blend for cutout cookies. The cookies always hold their shape well and have a great texture.
Do I have to chill the dough for cut out cookies?
Yes, I really recommend chilling this dough. It will make the dough easier to work with, and the cookies will hold their shape better.
Where can I find allergen free sanding sugar or sprinkles?
You can check out Natural Candy Store online – many of their baking products are allergy friendly. Check out their sugars and food dyes! There may be other safe sprinkle brands depending on your allergies – be sure to read labels and call the company to be sure.
Can I freeze this cookie dough?
Yes, you can freeze this dough. Wrap the discs of dough in plastic wrap and foil, and then freeze. It should stay fresh for up to three months. When you want to bake cookies, thaw in the refrigerator overnight before rolling and baking.
These lemon frosted sugar cookies are fun to make with your kids. The dough is very easy to make in just one bowl, and after letting it chill for a couple of hours, it rolls out very nicely.
If for some reason you don’t want these to be lemon flavored, go ahead and use a non-dairy milk in place of the lemon juice. They will still turn out well!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Frosted Lemon Sugar Cookies.
These frosted lemon sugar cookies are a family friendly treat to bake up this holiday season!
For the Cookies:
For the Frosting:
- 6 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 3.5 cups confectioner's sugar sifted
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- yellow sugar crystals optional
- In a large bowl, cream together the vegan buttery spread and the granulated sugar. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, and unsweetened applesauce and mix together on medium low speed.
Add the flour and salt, and mix until combined.
- Divide the cookie dough into two even pieces and flatten each portion into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the dough on a rolling surface covered with flour, and coat the rolling pin with flour, too.
- Roll out the dough until it is 1/4 inch thick. Cut out desired shapes and place on the cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Prepare the frosting: Cream the vegan buttery spread and add the sifted powdered sugar and the lemon juice a little at a time until the frosting is the thickness that you desire. Depending on the amount of liquid, you can make a spreadable frosting or more of a glaze.
- Frost the cooled cookies and sprinkle with decorating sugar.
- Store frosted cookies in the refrigerator.
You could also dye the frosting yellow and skip the colored sugar.
Store cookies in an airtight container for up to three days. If you want to keep them longer, store in the refrigerator.
This post was originally published in December 2014. It has been updated.