Frosted lemon sugar cookies are a classic holiday cookie that’s vegan and gluten free. This is a festive sweet treat your children will love!
I know, this month has been a bit heavy on the cookies, but what can you do? It’s the holidays, right?
I wanted to try to include a few different cookie options because I know that it can be so difficult to find tasty cookie recipes that work for your particular allergy/dietary needs. I’ve been trying to hit all the favorites: double chocolate, cranberry, iced gingerbread, and now a classic sugar cookie.
This post is part of this fun thing that I just found out about, the Virtual Vegan Potluck. I had not heard of this before, but it’s a virtual feast that includes appetizers, beverages, salads, breads, soups, side dishes, main dishes, and desserts. There are multiple posts in each category, and at the end of each post you will see a go forward and go back button, so you can just hop along to the next delicious stop on the virtual potluck train. (Thank goodness this is a virtual thing – can you imagine this happening in real life? I’d have to put on my stretchiest pants for sure!)
Anyway, I was so excited to find out about this and I knew I wanted to participate this year with these delicious frosted lemon sugar cookies. I can’t wait to see all the wonderful recipes that these amazing bloggers share!
These cookies are a really fun recipe to make with your kids. The dough is very easy to make in just one bowl, and after letting it chill for a couple of hours, it rolls out really nicely. Just don’t even start eating the dough raw – it’s so tasty, you won’t have any left to bake into cookies! If for some reason you don’t want these to be lemon flavored, go ahead and use a non-dairy milk in place of the lemon juice. They will still turn out well!
This recipe also works well with a gluten free flour blend. I have made them with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour as well as the Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Blend.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Frosted Lemon Sugar Cookies.
These frosted lemon sugar cookies are a family friendly treat to bake up this holiday season!
For the Cookies:
- 1 cup vegan buttery spread
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups white spelt flour all purpose or gluten free flour works, too!
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Frosting:
- 6 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 3.5 cups confectioner's sugar sifted
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- yellow sugar crystals optional
- In a large bowl, cream together the vegan buttery spread and the granulated sugar. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, and unsweetened applesauce and mix together on medium low speed.
- Add the white spelt flour and salt, and mix until combined.
- Divide the cookie dough into two even pieces and flatten each portion into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the dough on a rolling surface covered with flour, and coat the rolling pin with flour, too.
- Roll out the dough until it is 1/4 inch thick. Cut out desired shapes and place on the cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Prepare the frosting: Cream the vegan buttery spread and add the sifted powdered sugar and the lemon juice a little at a time until the frosting is the thickness that you desire. Depending on the amount of liquid, you can make a spreadable frosting or more of a glaze.
- Frost the cooled cookies and sprinkle with decorating sugar.
- Store frosted cookies in the refrigerator.
You could also dye the frosting yellow and skip the colored sugar.
I wondered if I would be sick of holiday cookies because of all the
eating baking I did this summer while I was writing Vegan Holiday Treats, but nope! I don’t think it’s possible – there are so many fun cookies to make!
Okay, who’s ready to see what’s next in the Vegan Virtual Potluck? Click the buttons below to see more deliciousness!