These delicate oatmeal lace cookies are thin, crisp, and so wonderful! This is a classic holiday treat to bake and enjoy.
Well, we are in the thick of Christmas cookie season, aren’t we?
I have been doing some baking for a few different gatherings, and have a little stockpile of recipes to share with you! The first ones on the agenda are these gluten free oatmeal lace cookies.
This recipe is a reader request – I had actually not tried oatmeal lace cookies before. They are so delicious, though, they are super crisp and light, and are easily made gluten free, egg free, and dairy free.
What are oatmeal lace cookies?
Oatmeal lace cookies are made with simple ingredients – a little flour, oats, sugar, and butter – and when they bake, they spread out and are very thin. They have a caramel-like flavor, and a very satisfying crunch when you bite into them.
How do you make gluten free oatmeal lace cookies?
- Mix the sugar, buttery spread, and vanilla extract together. Add the unsweetened applesauce.
- Add the gluten free flour, gluten free oats, and salt. Mix well.
- Drop batter by the teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- The cookies will spread out and get very thin, crisp, and golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool and then gently remove them from the cookie sheet. If you prefer, you can roll them up into tubes while they are still warm.
How do you store oatmeal lace cookies?
Lace cookies are so incredibly delicate. I recommend storing them in layers in a large airtight container. Place waxed paper between the layers of cookies and be very careful if you are transporting them.
What is the best dairy free substitute for baking?
For baking cookies, I like the soy free Earth Balance vegan buttery spread. I used the spread this time, but I have also used the baking sticks in many cookie recipes, and they work well.
Can these cookies be made with coconut oil?
I have not tried that. I think that the texture would be very oily, and these cookies may burn if you use coconut oil.
If you make this recipe, or any of my recipes, please share on Instagram and tag me @prettybeeblog. I love to see your creations!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Gluten Free Oatmeal Lace Cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the vegan buttery spread, sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add the unsweetened applesauce and mix until combined.
- Add the oats, gluten free flour blend, and salt and mix on low speed until combined. The batter may seem a little wet - that's okay - it's not a very firm batter.
- Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls on the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 ½ inches between them. These cookies will spread, so don't crowd them.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown. Keep an eye on these while baking - they can turn from golden brown to burnt very quickly.
- Allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes, then use your fingers to peel the cookies off the parchment. Repeat steps 5 and 6 with remaining batter.
Adapted from this recipe.