Pasta e fagioli soup is an easy and delicious recipe to make for your family! This version is gluten free and vegan.
I thought that I’d start off my 31 Day Series with a soup recipe. Mostly because I LOVE soup so much, and once fall arrives I just have to bust out all my soup recipes right away. Pretty much all of my favorite soup recipes have beans of some sort. Chili, white bean soup, black bean soup, bean soup for babies…the list goes on.
Pasta e fagioli soup is one of my favorite recipes. It’s very filling and tasty. I think it looks pretty, too, with the dark green kale and the red tomatoes. I love a nice colorful bowl of soup.
I’ve been really happy with both the DeLallo brand of gluten free pasta and the Barilla brand (affiliate links). If you can’t get those brands, just use your favorite gluten free pasta. And if you aren’t gluten free, go ahead and use regular pasta! This recipe for pasta e fagioli is flexible. :)
Pasta e Fagioli Soup.
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 15 ounces Italian style diced tomatoes
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 30 ounces cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups gluten free pasta I used penne but any shape is fine
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup curly kale leaves torn into small pieces
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the garlic and chopped onion and cook over medium heat until softened, about seven minutes.
- Add the broth, water, and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the pasta. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes. (It should be bubbling still).
- Add the beans, kale, and spices, and cook for about 7-8 minutes until the pasta is tender.
- Serve with bread or crackers.
This pasta e fagioli soup is:
- a delicious meal for busy nights
- comforting and healthy
- perfect to make on a rainy day
What’s on your lunch plate these days?
This post is part of my series, 31 Days of Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and Egg Free Soups, Salads, Sides, and Sweets.