If you love sweet and salty combinations, you’ll love this recipe for vegan salted chocolate chip cookies. These cookies are tender, buttery, and loaded with chocolate chips. A sprinkle of salt on top is the finishing touch!
When the weekend hits, is there anything better than baking your favorite cookies? The smell of chocolate chip cookies wafting through the house makes for a very cozy and comforting morning.
These vegan salted chocolate chip cookies are the perfect combination of salty and sweet. The chocolate chips, the sweet, buttery cookies, and a sprinkle of sea salt make these vegan cookies so hard to resist.
If you have dairy allergies, or other food allergies, you know that it can be tricky to find delicious dessert recipes. I have a lot of nut free recipes on my site, and these cookies are one of our favorites. No one ever guesses that these cookies are allergy friendly!
These cookies are just right for dunking in a glass of cold milk (dairy free of course), and they’re also perfect for packing in lunches. If you aren’t a fan of the salty/sweet combination, you can just skip the sprinkle of salt on top.
- Flour – I used white spelt flour in this recipe, but you could use all-purpose flour if you like. You can also use a gluten free flour blend like Namaste Perfect Flour Blend if you need to be gluten free.
- Sugar – Both brown sugar and cane sugar are used to give these cookies the right amount of sweetness. You could use coconut sugar in place of the brown sugar if you prefer.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – We like Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Spread – it gives these cookies a wonderful, buttery flavor. You could also use the baking sticks. I don’t recommend using oil – the texture will be different if you do that. If you can’t use vegan buttery spread, you can substitute palm shortening in an equal amount.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips – There are a couple brands of allergy friendly chocolate that are made in allergen free facilities. Enjoy Life Foods and PASCHA Chocolate both make a variety of chocolate baking chips. You can find these brands online, at Amazon, and at health food stores. I like the dairy free mini chocolate chips for this recipe, but feel free to use a larger size chip or chunk if you prefer.
Step by Step Instructions
- Put the vegan buttery spread, organic cane sugar, and brown sugar in a mixing bowl and mix on medium speed.
- Add the non-dairy yogurt or applesauce and the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt, and mix until the dough comes together.
- Stir in the dairy free mini chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter onto a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle some Kosher salt on top of each cookie.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 11-13 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet before removing them.
Store these cookies in an airtight container. They should stay fresh for up to 5 days.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the vegan buttery spread and the sugars in a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.½ cup vegan buttery spread, ¼ cup organic cane sugar, ½ cup brown sugar
- Add the vanilla non-dairy yogurt and the vanilla extract and mix until smooth.2 Tablespoons vanilla non-dairy yogurt, 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Stop the mixer and add the flour, baking soda, and ⅓ teaspoon salt. Mix on low speed until combined.1 ⅓ cups white spelt flour, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ⅓ teaspoon salt
- Stir in the dairy free chocolate chips.⅔ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Spoon the batter onto the prepared cookie sheet, leaving an inch and a half between each cookie. Sprinkle some Kosher salt on top of each cookie.½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 11-13 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet before moving to a cooling rack or serving tray.