Soft and fluffy vegan garlic herb breadsticks are a family favorite! These are easy to whip up and are a perfect accompaniment to pasta!
You guys, I’ve been hearing Olive Garden commercials on the radio lately, and I’m thinking that these ads are getting in my head, because I actually found myself wishing for a pile of their soft, buttery, (bad for you), breadsticks. And also their salad, and maybe some soup, too.
I used to love going to the Olive Garden back in the day when I was eating whatever. I remember going there and eating their breadstick/salad/soup lunch deal with my girlfriends in college. And really appreciating the bottomless breadstick basket – that was a nice bonus for my starving music student budget. Ah, memories. ;)
Thankfully, I can make vegan garlic herb breadsticks at our house that aren’t as bad for us, and we all love them just as much!
I used white spelt flour to make these vegan breadsticks, and I do let them rise for about an hour for maximum fluffiness. I’ve gotten a few questions about spelt lately, and as I’ve mentioned before, spelt is not gluten free. My sons and I can’t tolerate wheat, but we are able to tolerate spelt very well, and it doesn’t cause any reactions in us.
Okay, back to these breadsticks. The dough is super easy to mix up, and then you form the breadsticks and let them rise – I prefer at least an hour. I make a quick little garlic herb oil to brush on the tops, and serve them with marinara sauce.
My recipe for homemade marinara sauce is here, but if you don’t have all day to make that, just use your favorite jarred brand.
You’ll love these vegan garlic herb breadsticks. They are:
- the perfect addition to any meal
- quick and easy to make, even on a weeknight
- light, fluffy, and delicious!
Make these vegan garlic herb breadsticks this weekend – they are delicious, and you’ll be super happy with how awesome your house smells – it’s heavenly on a crisp autumn day!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Garlic Herb Breadsticks
These spelt flour vegan breadsticks are topped with a herbed garlic oil and are delicious when dipped in marinara sauce! Dairy free, egg free recipe.
For the dough:
For the topping:
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups Marinara sauce for dipping
- Put the warm water, brown sugar, and yeast in a large bowl, and let sit for about 10 minutes so the sugar feeds the yeast. It will look a little bit foamy on top.
- Add the spelt flour, salt and 1/4 cup of olive oil to the yeast and water mixture, and mix together. Knead the dough with your hands just a little bit until it is smooth and elastic. If it seems too wet, add a bit more spelt flour.
- Take a handful of dough, roll it into a log, and place it on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Stretch it out until it is about six inches long.
- Repeat with remaining dough. You should get about 8 breadsticks.
- Set aside to rise for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the crushed garlic, Italian seasoning, and 3 tablespoons olive oil in a small bowl. Brush this mixture over the tops of the breadsticks.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Enjoy with warmed marinara sauce for dipping if desired.
You can also just brush these with olive oil and sprinkle garlic salt on top for a simpler version.
Dough adapted from this recipe.