Fresh baked spiced apple cider donuts are a perfect treat for fall! You won’t miss out on cider mill donuts with this homemade recipe!
There’s nothing like a trip to the cider mill in the autumn months. And Michigan has tons of cider mills, so we’re very fortunate that we get to visit a few different ones each year.
While we do love cider, the best part of the whole cider mill experience is the donuts (of course everyone knows that), but if you have food intolerances, the donuts are probably off limits. Since most cider mill donuts can contain dairy, tree nuts, egg, or other allergens, we have to make our spiced apple cider donuts at home.
I don’t mind making our own gluten free donuts at home – the fried donuts are a little too much for me – a little too expensive, and a little too greasy.
Baking my own allergy friendly donuts is a great way to save money, and most importantly, to make sure that everyone is safe.
Fortunately, it’s very easy to bake your own donuts. We often make these on a weekend morning, when my boys are clamoring for a special breakfast. They love to have warm donuts and hot cocoa.
All you need is a donut pan, which you can find on Amazon or at any kitchen store.
How do you make baked apple cider donuts?
- Mix up your batter, then spoon into a donut pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.
- Let the donuts cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn the pan over to remove them.
- Dip the fresh donuts in sugar if desired.
Is apple cider necessary for this recipe?
No, if you don’t have apple cider, you can go ahead and use non-dairy milk or even water instead.
How do you prevent gluten free baked goods from being gummy?
I like to use my own gluten free flour blend, which doesn’t contain any xanthan gum. It’s a lighter blend that works well in this recipe.
Different blends may react differently. You may have to experiment to find a blend that works well for you.
These vegan spiced apple cider donuts are:
- an easy treat to make
- perfect for cool fall weekends
- a wonderful way to let everyone feel included on cider mill trips
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Spiced Apple Cider Donuts (Vegan, Gluten Free).
Vegan spiced apple cider donuts are a perfect fresh baked treat to enjoy this fall!
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 cup apple cider or non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegan buttery spread melted
For the Topping:
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a donut pan.
- Place the flour, coconut sugar, salt, baking powder, and spices in a bowl and whisk together.
- Add the apple cider, vinegar, vanilla extract, applesauce, and melted vegan buttery spread and stir well.
- Spoon the mixture into the donut pan, and smooth out with the back of the spoon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then overturn the pan to remove donuts.
- Dip warm donuts into the sugar to coat.
This donut recipe works well with my gluten free flour blend.
This post was originally published in October 2015. It has been updated with new photos.