These fresh baked gluten free spiced apple cider donuts are a perfect treat for fall! You won’t miss out on cider mill donuts with this homemade recipe.
There’s nothing like a trip to the cider mill in the autumn months. And Michigan has tons of cider mills, so we’re very fortunate that we get to visit a few different ones each year.
While we do love cider, the best part of the whole cider mill experience is the donuts (of course everyone knows that), but if you have food intolerances, the donuts are probably off limits. Since most cider mill donuts can contain dairy, tree nuts, egg, or other allergens, we have to make our spiced apple cider donuts at home.
I don’t mind making our own gluten free donuts at home – the fried donuts are a little too much for me – a little too expensive, and a little too greasy.
- Gluten Free Flour Blend – I like to use my own gluten free flour blend, which doesn’t contain any xanthan gum. It’s a lighter blend that works well in this recipe. Different blends may react differently. You may have to experiment to find a blend that works well for you.
- Apple Cider – Apple cider adds some flavor to this donut batter. But if you don’t have apple cider, you can go ahead and use non-dairy milk or even water instead.
- Coconut Sugar – If you don’t want to use coconut sugar, feel free to use brown sugar, date sugar, or regular sugar.
To make baked donuts, you need is a donut pan, which you can find on Amazon or at any kitchen store. If you don’t have a donut pan, feel free to make this batter into muffins – they will still taste great!
Step by Step Instructions
- Mix up the batter, then spoon into a donut pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 12 minutes.
- Let the donuts cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn the pan over to remove them.
- Dip the fresh donuts in sugar if desired.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Spiced Apple Cider Donuts (Vegan, Gluten Free).
Vegan spiced apple cider donuts are a perfect fresh baked treat to enjoy this fall! These baked donuts are easy to make and delicious with a cup of hot tea.
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ½ cup apple cider or non-dairy milk
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup vegan buttery spread melted
For the Topping:
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a
Place the flour, coconut sugar, salt, baking powder, and spices in a bowl and whisk together.
Add the apple cider, vinegar, vanilla extract, applesauce, and melted vegan buttery spread and stir well.
Spoon the mixture into the donut pan, and smooth out with the back of the spoon.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then overturn the pan to remove donuts.
Dip warm donuts into the sugar to coat.
Store leftover donuts in an airtight container. They should stay fresh for about 3 days.