This quinoa breakfast bowl is healthy and delicious – a perfect gluten free and dairy free way to start the day! Peaches and berries are a great topping, or go ahead and use your favorite fruit instead!
Have you ever tried quinoa for breakfast?
When I first heard of quinoa as a breakfast cereal, I admit, I was skeptical. I love quinoa in soup, chili, or salad, but I was very uncertain that this ancient grain would make a good breakfast food.
I was surprised the first time I tried it! Quinoa makes a very hearty and delicious breakfast cereal. And it’s naturally gluten free, too!
This quinoa breakfast bowl is creamy, delicious, and full of fresh fruit. It’s a great way to start your morning.
Is quinoa a breakfast food?
Quinoa is an ancient grain, and when mixed with non-dairy milk, maple syrup, and topped with berries or other fruit, it makes an excellent breakfast.
Quinoa is a good alternative for those who may be sensitive to oats, but who still want to a hot breakfast cereal. Another good alternative would be millet porridge.
Is quinoa better for you than oatmeal?
Both quinoa and oatmeal are healthy choices. Oatmeal has more carbohydrates, fiber, and protein than quinoa. Quinoa contains 4 grams of protein per serving, while oatmeal contains 17 grams her serving. Quinoa is a complete protein because it contains all the essential amino acids.
You can read more about the nutritional value of both oatmeal and quinoa here.
How do you make breakfast quinoa?
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water.
- Place the quinoa in a pan with some non-dairy milk and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the vegan buttery spread and maple syrup.
- Serve in bowls with more non-dairy milk and fresh fruit.
What type of quinoa will work in this recipe?
Any type of quinoa will work well! I used white quinoa in this quinoa breakfast bowl this time, but you can use red quinoa or a mixed blend if you prefer.
If you make this recipe, or any of my recipes, please share on Instagram and tag me @prettybeeblog! I love to see what you’re cooking.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl with Peaches and Berries.
- Rinse the quinoa in a strainer, and then place the quinoa in a small saucepan. Add the non-dairy milk. Heat over medium heat, just until the non-dairy milk starts to bubble. Reduce the heat to low, and cover the pan.
- Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes. The quinoa is done when the little ring separates from around the edge of the quinoa.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the maple syrup, vegan buttery spread, and the pinch of salt.
- Spoon into a bowl and top with the chopped peaches and strawberries. You can add more non-dairy milk or maple syrup if desired.
You can easily make this breakfast quinoa bowl your own! Try adding:
- chopped seeds or dried fruit
- fresh mango and raspberries
- dark chocolate chunks and cherries
This is a very versatile recipe – it has become a staple in our breakfast rotation!
This post was originally published in June 2014. It has been updated with new photos and tips.