Not really! Except maybe cider and donuts…
Anyway, I put this recipe together because my five year old looooves Panera creamy tomato soup. Like really, really loves it. And we did let him eat it for quite awhile, until we realized that dairy made his eczema really bad. So we had to remove dairy from his diet, and that meant no more Panera tomato soup. Bummer.
Last month when we had so many tomatoes coming in from our garden, I thought I would try to make a tomato soup recipe that was dairy free, but still creamy. I used almond milk, and added carrots as well, and I love how it turned out. My son likes it, but actually said, “I think I like Panera soup better.” Honesty is the best policy, I guess. (I like my version better, though!)
Creamy Dairy Free Tomato Carrot Soup.
- 12-18 tomatoes cored and sliced in half. You want to fill a baking sheet with them.
- 1 cup baby carrots sliced thin
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup plain almond milk or non-dairy milk of your choice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and place the tomatoes face down. Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the skins wrinkle up.
Let them cool for awhile, and then the skins should come off easily, just pull them off with your fingers or tongs.
Saute the onions and carrots in the olive oil until softened, about 5-10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer covered for about 15 minutes or so, until the carrots are tender.
Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender. Make sure that it is super smooth, no lumps at all.
Add the almond milk and salt and pepper.
Serve with crackers! (I’ll be posting my recipe for gluten free crackers tomorrow!)
What’s your favorite fall soup?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simple Macaroni Salad Recipe Without Mayo. - June 22, 2017
- Chocolate Sunbutter Cup Ice Cream Bars. - June 19, 2017
- Chicken Meatballs with Zoodles (Gluten and Egg Free). - June 12, 2017