These crispy oatmeal crackers are made with freshly ground oats and pack a delicious and flavorful crunch!
We love our snacks in this house. My two growing boys seem to be in a very “snacky” phase right now. They love to eat apples and bananas, or homemade granola, or some kind of crunchy snack.
I love to make crackers for them to eat. Homemade crackers are so easy to make, and I find it relaxing. It just takes a minute to make the dough, then roll it out, score it with a knife, and sprinkle it with water and salt. I find the whole process to be very soothing.
Plus, they’re so much cheaper than buying gluten free crackers! Who wants to spend $5 on a box of crackers? I’d rather not, if I don’t have to!
I’ve shared cracker recipes on the blog before, but this time I wanted to add a little more whole grain nutrition to them. I decided to grind up some oats and use oat flour in addition to the gluten free flour blend. The oats gave these a great nutty flavor and made the texture a little lighter. These oatmeal crackers were gobbled up in no time flat!
If you happen to have of these oatmeal crackers left over (we never do), you can store them in a glass jar or ziploc bag. If you do want to have some left over, then I would suggest making a double batch. :)
Easy Oatmeal Crackers (Gluten Free and Vegan).
- 1/2 cup certified gluten free old-fashioned oats
- 5/8 cup gluten free flour blend I used the King Arthur Gluten Free Multi-Purpose Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread melted
- 1/2 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
- 1/4-1/2 cup water the amount may vary depending on the flour you use
- large flake sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grind the gluten free oats in a food processor until they become a fairly fine flour.
- Pour the oat flour, gluten free flour, garlic powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Add the melted vegan buttery spread, honey or agave, and 1/4 cup water. Stir. Drizzle in more water while stirring until the dough forms a ball. The dough should not be too wet.
- Place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper and cover with a sheet of waxed paper. Roll the dough out until it is quite thin, about 1/8 inch thick. Try to roll the dough as evenly as possible.*
- Remove the waxed paper and place the dough on the parchment paper on the cookie sheet. Cut the dough into squares with a knife, but do not separate. Sprinkle a little water on top and smooth it over the dough.
- Sprinkle sea salt flakes on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 13-16 minutes, until golden brown and crisp, rotating the sheet once during the baking time.
- Let cool before breaking into squares.
* Try not to make the edges thinner than the rest of the dough. If you do, they will brown faster than the crackers in the middle of the sheet.
Have you made crackers before?