Is there anything better than a hot bowl of soup on a cool fall day? Especially creamy dairy free tomato carrot soup?
Not really! Except maybe cider and donuts…
Anyway, I put this recipe together because my five year old looooves Panera creamy tomato soup. Like really, really loves it. And we did let him eat it for quite a while, until we realized that dairy made his eczema really bad. So we had to remove dairy from his diet, and that meant no more Panera tomato soup. Bummer.
Last month when we had so many tomatoes coming in from our garden, I thought I would try to make a tomato carrot soup recipe that was dairy free, but still creamy. I used almond milk, and added carrots as well, and I love how it turned out. You could use any non-dairy milk that works for your diet.
My son likes it, but actually said, “I think I like Panera soup better.” Honesty is the best policy, I guess. (I like my version better, though!)
Tips for making this tomato carrot soup recipe:
- use fresh tomatoes and carrots if possible
- puree with a hand blender or food processor for a smooth texture
- use the non-dairy milk of your choice to add creaminess
Creamy Dairy Free Tomato Carrot Soup.
Creamy, smooth, and delicious, this tomato carrot soup is dairy free and vegan, but you'd never know it!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and place the tomatoes face down. Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the skins wrinkle up.
Let them cool for a while, and then the skins should come off easily, just pull them off with your fingers or tongs.
- Saute the onions and carrots in the olive oil until softened, about 5-10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for about 15 minutes or so, until the carrots are tender.
- Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender. Make sure that it is super smooth, no lumps at all.
- Add the almond milk and salt and pepper.
Serve this dairy free tomato carrot soup with fresh bread or crackers. (I’ll be posting my recipe for gluten free crackers tomorrow!)
What’s your favorite fall soup?