Good morning! Are you snowed in like we are? If so, you’d probably like a donut and a cup of hot chocolate right about now, right?
There’s a ton of snow here…I was actually skeptical that this Snowpocalypse was going to happen, but I was wrong! I would say we have almost a foot of snow on the ground right now. And now today, temps are dropping, and the wind chill is going to be bitterly cold…so no outside playtime. As a treat, I’m about to make donuts. Chocolate, sugar, a couple of kids, being trapped indoors…it’s a perfect plan, right? What could go wrong? ;)
- For the batter:
- 1 cup spelt flour
- ½ cup sugar
- heaping ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ½ tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2. T. unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup dairy free buttery spread
- For the glaze:
- 1 c. confectioner’s sugar + water (add a little bit at a time, maybe 2 T. total)
- If desired:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Mix the buttery spread, almond milk, vanilla, and vinegar in a large bowl. Add the dry ingredients and mix together. The dough will be soft, and not too wet.
- Spoon the dough into the donut pan. Each well will be full almost to the top. Smooth out the dough with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze in a small bowl. Add water to the confectioner’s sugar and whisk with a fork until you reach the desired thickness. Not too thick, but not super runny.
- When the donuts are cool, (if you can be that patient) spoon the glaze on top. Shake sprinkles on top while the glaze is still wet.
You do need to check the ingredients on the sprinkles, because not all sprinkles are vegan. Not to mention the artificial dyes…I don’t like to get the kind with Red 40, or any other scary coloring.
Enjoy! Snow day optional. :)
What are your snow day plans?
Linking up to some of these parties.