These vegan glazed chocolate donuts are easily made at home in a donut pan! You can enjoy the taste of fresh-baked donuts right in your own kitchen.
When we eliminated eggs, dairy, and gluten from our diet, we also eliminated fun treats, like donuts from the bakery.
Thankfully, it’s easy to make baked vegan donuts in a donut pan at home. We like to make them on occasion over here, and it’s fun to create different flavors. The other day Baby Bee requested donuts, and since it had been a long time since we’d made any, I decided to make a batch of vegan glazed chocolate donuts.
Chocolate donuts used to be my very favorite kind of donut. When I was in college and still eating dairy, and wheat, and eggs, I used to love to get donuts at the best donut place in all the land: Sweetwater’s Donut Mill. Sweetwater’s was the ultimate college town donut shop – it was open 24 hours, had a million flavors, and wasn’t too expensive.
I loved the glazed chocolate donuts from Sweetwater’s and decided to create my own gluten free and vegan version to share with you today.
If you aren’t gluten free, go ahead and use regular all-purpose flour. I would not recommend coconut flour or almond flour, although you could add some of these flours to a gluten free mix, and that would be fine. Using all grain free flours with this recipe may result in dense or soggy donuts.
My homemade gluten free flour blend works well in this recipe.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Glazed Chocolate Donuts.
Rich vegan chocolate donuts covered with a sweet glaze - a delicious gluten free and dairy free treat!
- 1/3 cup organic canola oil or melted vegan buttery spread
- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 3 Tablespoons vanilla coconut milk yogurt I used SO Delicious brand
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two donut pans with canola oil or vegan buttery spread. (Donut pans are non-stick, but I find the donuts pop out easier if you grease the pan).
- In a large bowl, mix the canola oil, vanilla yogurt, dairy free milk, vanilla extract, vinegar, and sugar.
- Add the gluten free flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pans, filling each donut well 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 12-15 minutes.
- Let the donuts cool in the pan for a few minutes, then overturn the donut pan and tap the back of the pan until the donuts pop out onto a sheet of parchment paper or a cookie sheet.
- While the donuts cool, make the glaze. Sift the confectioner's sugar into a medium bowl, and drizzle in the water Whisk with a fork until smooth, and drizzle over cooled donuts.
Tips for making these vegan chocolate donuts:
- use a non-stick donut pan, and also grease the pan with a little oil or vegan buttery spread
- let the donuts cool in the pan for about five minutes
- customize these donuts with your own toppings – try the glaze, or chocolate icing, or even icing and sprinkles
I love how easy it is to make donuts at home with a donut pan. These vegan glazed chocolate donuts really are delicious and do rival any bakery donut – the cake is dense and moist, and the glaze is sweet and light. They aren’t fried, which is a big improvement over the donuts you get from the bakery.
You can keep these for up to three days in an airtight container. If they last that long! ;)
This post was originally published in March 2015. It has been updated with new photos and text.