Wow, it’s been hot here this week! I’m kind of stunned, because it was unseasonably cool last week, (like 70’s), and it was soooo nice. That’s my perfect weather, sunny and 70 degrees. Since it’s so hot here now, of course I don’t want to turn the oven on, or really cook anything at all, so a cold salad is a good option. I tend to fall back on quinoa more often than not because it’s so quick to make and it’s gluten free. This time I added some curry powder, fruit, and nuts for a new take on my usual quinoa salad. It’s healthy, refreshing, and delicious!
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ of a medium onion, chopped
- 1½ cups shredded carrots
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¾ cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1¼ Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ teaspoon pepper
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Once it's done cooking, place in a fine mesh strainer and rinse with cold water to cool it down.
- In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, curry powder, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Add the quinoa, onion, carrots, apple, blueberries, and almonds. Mix together until everything is covered in the dressing.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
You can experiment with this recipe – use a different citrus juice if you like, or a different kind of nut. That’s the nice thing about this kind of salad – you can improvise with what you have on hand.
What’s your favorite way to eat quinoa?