Well, I have another confession to make. In addition to getting the old crockpot fired up, I also baked with pumpkin. Already! Is it too soon? Pinterest says no, the time is now! ;)
The weather has really cooled off as I mentioned yesterday and while part of me is saying, YES! Boots, scarves, cider, cocoa, changing leaves, Halloween, bring it all on!!! The other part is still saying, Oh, nooooo, summer, you were too short once again. :(
Oh well, I do love fall, so I’m jumping in feet first. The pumpkin baking has commenced, AND I bought three mini gourds at the grocery store the other day. I just can’t resist tiny pumpkins.
Pumpkin muffins are pretty much my favorite kind of muffin. These are so moist and filled with the sweet spiciness of pumpkin pie. The crumbly, buttery streusel topping is just the icing on the cake. Well, not really, it’s a crumb topping, but you know what I mean!
Make these for breakfast this weekend – you won’t be sorry! These are just fantastic with a cup of hot cider or tea (or coffee, or hot cocoa, or milk)…okay, they are just fantastic no matter what you drink with them.
- 1 cup white spelt flour
- 1 cup whole spelt flour
- scant 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- a pinch of cloves
- ⅓ cup pure pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- For the topping:
- ⅓ cup white spelt flour
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cold vegan buttery spread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add the almond milk, oil, and pumpkin puree. Mix by hand until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the ⅓ cup flour, brown sugar, and cold vegan buttery spread. Use a pastry cutter to mix until the mixture turns into coarse crumbs with some larger butter lumps.
- Fill the muffin cups ⅔ full with batter. Sprinkle the streusel on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
I hope you have a beautiful Indian Summer/Fall weekend!
Linking up to some of these parties.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017