You’re going to love these dairy free Philly cheesesteak sandwiches! Tender beef, peppers, onions, dairy free cheese, and soft rolls make the perfect, comforting sandwich.
The cold weather means it’s time to enjoy foods that are warm, comforting, and filling. These gluten free, dairy free cheesesteak sandwiches are just the thing to make when you’re craving a deliciously warming dinner.
If you’re unable to eat gluten and dairy, you may have thought that your Philly cheesesteak days were over.
That doesn’t have to be true! There are many wonderful dairy substitutes on the market today as well as delicious gluten free breads and rolls. You can make this classic sandwich at home using these substitutes and I think you’ll find that it’s a satisfying meal that your whole family will love.
If you’re looking for more dinners to suit your dietary needs, be sure to check out my top 9 allergen free meal plan.
- Steak – Ribeye steak is a good choice for making a Philly cheesesteak. Be sure to slice the steak very thin for best results.
- Dairy Free Cheese – I made a very simple dairy free cheese sauce for extra gooey, cheesy goodness, but you could also just use your favorite dairy free cheese slices or shreds on top of the sandwich.
- Gluten Free Rolls – There are many different brands of gluten free bread and rolls to choose from. Both Little Northern Bakehouse and BFree make gluten free buns and rolls. Schar makes longer submarine style sandwich rolls. All of these brands have different ingredients and facilities, so be sure to call and find out if a specific brand is safe for your needs.
More Bread Options
- If you can’t find any gluten free rolls that are safe for you, you could just use regular gluten free bread. I think this recipe will still be delicious on toasted bread.
- If you aren’t gluten free, go ahead and use whatever brand of sandwich rolls or buns that work for your family. Pretzilla makes pretzel sandwich rolls that are made in a peanut and tree nut free facility.
Step by Step Instructions
- Saute the peppers, onions, and mushrooms in a large skillet, until the veggies are softened and starting to brown. Add the sliced steak to the skillet and continue to cook until the steak is cooked through.
- Make the dairy free cheese sauce: melt the vegan buttery spread, then add the gluten free flour. Slowly add the broth, and once it is simmering, stir in the dairy free cheese shreds.
- Butter the gluten free sandwich rolls with vegan buttery spread, and toast in the oven or the toaster oven.
- Fill each roll with the steak and vegetable filling and spoon some dairy free cheese sauce on top. Enjoy!
Store leftover cheesesteak filling and dairy free cheese sauce in the refrigerator. They should stay fresh for about 3 days.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches.
For the filling:
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 16 ounces ribeye steak
- salt and pepper
For the cheese sauce:
For the sandwiches:
- 4 gluten free sandwich rolls
- 2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
Make the veggie and steak filling:
- Thinly slice the onion, green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook in vegan buttery spread in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until the veggies are softened and starting to brown, and 15 minutes.
- While the veggies, cook, use a very sharp knife to thinly slice the ribeye steak.
- Once the veggies are softened, add the thinly sliced steak to the pan and cook until it is browned and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
Make the dairy free cheese sauce:
- Melt the vegan buttery spread in a saucepan. Whisk in the gluten free flour.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in the dairy free cheese shreds. Stir until they are melted and smooth.
Assemble the sandwiches:
- Spread some vegan butter on each side of the rolls, then toast them in the oven or a toaster oven. Put some steak and veggie filling on one half of each roll.
- Spoon dairy free cheese sauce on top of the filling and place the other half of the roll on top. Enjoy!