Hello! Look at me, posting on a Saturday! It feels strange. Oh well. I have a really quick and easy side dish or healthy lunch option for you today, and it’s perfect for busy weekends where you might just grab something less healthy because you don’t have the time to cook.
Quinoa + veggies = a healthy lunch!
I love quinoa, because it’s A) gluten free B) very versatile and C) cooks quickly – in about half the time that rice takes.
So, if you’re like me, you probably have a big bag of quinoa in your cupboard, and maybe you aren’t sure how else to use it…you’ve made it with mushrooms as a side dish, or put it in a soup, but now what? I decided to mix in some tomato sauce and see what happened. It made a very creamy and delicious base for some sautéed veggies. This tomato quinoa with zucchini and onions was a perfectly tasty and healthy lunch.
- 1 cup quinoa
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 small zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the quinoa and place in a pot with two cups water and a drizzle of olive oil. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the little ring around each quinoa loosens.
- While the quinoa is cooking, saute the onions in the olive oil over medium heat. Once the onions are soft and translucent, add the zucchini and cook until tender but still bright green.
- When the quinoa is done cooking, add the cup of tomato sauce and stir over low heat until heated through.
- To serve, place some tomato quinoa in each bowl and top with veggies. Season with salt and pepper.
See how easy that is? Make it today, and feel free to customize with your choice of vegetables. There’s no wrong way to make this simple lunch. If you decide to make it as a side dish, it’s wonderful served with chicken or fish.
Hope you have a great Saturday!
This post is part of my series: 31 Days of Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Soups, Salads, Sides & Sweets.