Well, all of those recipes contain nuts, so this weekend I was on mission to make a delicious nut-free granola. I just went with a simple coconut granola – with vegan buttery spread rather than oil for a richer flavor. You could definitely use coconut oil if you wanted to amp up the coconut flavor.
Since we are rapidly approaching the holidays, now is a good time to talk about food gifts! I love to make food to give as gifts. Some of my favorites are cookies, jarred gifts, and these sweet and spicy almonds. Granola is also a good gift option. You can put it in a quart size mason jar and tie it with baker’s twine or ribbon, and it will stay fresh for about a week. Food gifts are always appreciated, especially at such a busy time of year. I know I’m always happy to be the recipient of something homemade and delicious. :)
- 3 cups gluten free whole oats
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup vegan buttery spread
- ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the vegan buttery spread in a large bowl and microwave for 35 seconds or until melted. Add the honey or maple syrup and the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the oats, coconut flakes, and sea salt. Mix well until fully coated.
- Spread the granola on the cookie sheet and bake at 250 degrees for 50 minutes. Stir every 15 minutes.
- After 50 minutes, if it is not golden brown, raise the heat to 275 degrees and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.
- Let cool completely and then store in an airtight container.
What delicious things did you cook up this weekend?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017