Banana coconut granola is a perfect way to start your day! This granola recipe is buttery, delicious, and easy to make!
The other day I was thinking about a cereal I used to buy – it was a banana nut granola and it was delicious. I stopped eating it because it contained wheat, dairy, and nuts. I loved how that granola tasted though, and I wondered if I could make something similar that was allergy free.
And the answer is…yes! I did make something that was very similar in taste, but without any of the top allergens. This banana coconut granola reminds me of a banana muffin, but in cereal form.
- Banana – The key to the awesome banana flavor is using an over ripe banana that you have stored in your freezer. (Do you store your brown bananas in the freezer so that you always have some on hand for banana bread?) Once you thaw the banana, it will be super mushy and juicy and sweet. That over ripe sweetness is really important to the flavor of this granola.
- Oats – If you are on a gluten free diet, you will need to use certified gluten free oats. There are many brands of certified gluten free oats available. I use GF Harvest Oats, which are available on Amazon.
- Maple Syrup – I like maple syrup in this recipe, but you could also use honey or agave syrup.
- You can use coconut oil in place of the soy free vegan buttery spread, but it will have a stronger coconut flavor.
- If you are able to eat nuts, you can definitely add them to this recipe. Just mix them in with all the other dry ingredients and bake as directed.
- If you can’t have coconut, just leave it out and substitute some extra gluten free oats.
Store leftover granola in an airtight container or ziploc bag. It should stay fresh for about 5-6 days.
More Granola Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Banana Coconut Granola.
- ¼ cup vegan buttery spread melted (you can also use coconut oil)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup very ripe banana I used one that had been frozen. Once it was thawed it was very juicy
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tablespoons gluten free flour blend
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the wet ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
Add the gluten free oats, unsweetened coconut flakes, gluten free flour blend, and salt. Stir until everything is evenly coated.
Spread granola on the prepared baking sheet and bake at 275 degrees F for 50-60 minutes, until golden brown. Stir the granola every 15 minutes.
Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Store leftover granola in an airtight container. It should stay fresh for about 5-6 days.
If you can’t have coconut, you can leave it out and just use more oats instead.
Strength and Sunshine
I am one of the biggest granola fans! Coconut Banana….that is one perfect flavor combo!
Thank you, Rebecca!
Sarah @Whole and Heavenly Oven
I just LOVE banana granola, but it’s so true what you said: The storebought stuff is just loaded with junk. I am really loving how few ingredients yours calls for and it looks insanely addicting!
Natalie @ Tastes Lovely
I used to eat a banana granola cereal too! But I bet it was packed with sugar. I probably would have been better off eating Fruit Loops, haha! Love this healthier version. Especially since it has coconut!
Natalie @ Feasting on Fruit
I LOVE the flavors going on here! And I love the photos too. Gorgeous <3
Thank you so much, Natalie!
I love this granola, Kelly! I’ve seen a couple of recipes for banana granola but have never tried it myself. I love the short ingredient list in this one!
I made a double batch of this a few days ago and we absolutely LOVED it! I’m going to make more today, and I think I’ll have to triple the recipe this time. :) The banana and coconut are amazing together!
Yay! I’m so glad you tried it and loved it! Thank you for letting me know! :)
A cereal that tastes like a banana muffin?? Sign me up!! I love the idea of the banana-coconut infused granola and my mouth is watering just thinking about it. It’s not yet 7am and I’m already craving this for breakfast!
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice
What a creative flavor of granola, Kelly! I love this! Sounds so delicious!