This double chocolate granola is the most delicious way to start the day. Perfect plain, or enjoy with yogurt or milk. This recipe is gluten free, vegan, and allergy friendly!
Before food allergies, granola used to be such a staple in my diet.
I used to be able to buy it at the store, grab some from a vendor at the Farmer’s market…it didn’t matter what the ingredients were. Nuts, seeds, dairy, it was all fine.
Then food allergies hit our house, and suddenly most granola and granola bars became a very unsafe food option. Maybe you feel the same way?
Fortunately, homemade granola is very easy to make, and very easy to make gluten free and allergy friendly.
If you’ve never made granola, it’s so easy to do. Mix it all up, dump it onto a cookie sheet, and pop it in the oven. Really easy, and really delicious.
Is chocolate granola healthy?
Well, this granola has some healthy elements, like oats and ground flax seeds. But, there is a fair amount of chocolate in this recipe, so the sugar content is a bit higher. If you wanted to make a healthier version of this, you could reduce the amount of maple syrup and chocolate chips, and add cacao nibs instead.
How do you make chocolate granola?
- Combine the melted vegan buttery spread or coconut oil, maple syrup, cocoa powder, and brown sugar in a bowl and stir.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl.
- Stir well.
- Place the chocolate granola on a cookie sheet and bake at 250 degrees for about 45 minutes.
If you make this recipe or any of my recipe, please share on Instagram and tag me @prettybeeblog! I love to see your creations!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Double Chocolate Granola Recipe (Gluten Free, Vegan).
A yummy treat for breakfast or a snack - this double chocolate granola is so easy to make and easier to eat!
- ¼ cup vegan buttery spread melted (you could also use coconut oil)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ Tablespoons brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups certified gluten free oats
- 1 ½ Tablespoons ground flax seeds
- ¾ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- pinch salt
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds optional (you could also use pecans if you don't have a nut allergy)
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Combine the melted vegan buttery spread, maple syrup, light brown sugar, and cocoa powder in a large bowl. Stir.
Add all other ingredients, mix thoroughly.
Pour onto the cookie sheet and spread out into a single layer.
Bake at 250 degrees for about 40-50 minutes, or until granola does not look too wet. Stir every 15 minutes.
Let cool on cookie sheet, then store in an airtight container.
You can use regular butter if you prefer. Coconut oil would also work in this recipe.
The original recipe included pecans. We no longer eat any tree nuts, so I have adjusted this recipe. If you can eat nuts, feel free to add them!
This post was originally published in February 2014. Both the recipe and the photos have been updated.