There’s nothing better than a good bowl of buttery coconut granola in the morning! Enjoy this dairy free recipe with your favorite non-dairy milk, yogurt, or fresh fruit.
It’s definitely a good thing to know how to make a good batch of allergy friendly coconut granola. So often store-bought granola either contains allergens, like nuts, or is allergy friendly, but costs about $30 a bag. Yikes.
You might be surprised to learn that it’s both easy and inexpensive to make your own gluten free coconut granola. It takes just a few minutes to put this together, and it makes a good amount that you can eat throughout the week.
And maybe I’m biased, but I think homemade granola tastes much better than the kind you buy at the store. Plus, you know exactly what’s in it, so you can make sure that it’s safe for your allergies.
Are oats gluten free?
Yes, oats are gluten free. They are a grain that does not contain gluten.
However, because oats are often grown near wheat fields, or processed in the same facility as wheat, they can be cross contaminated with gluten.
That’s why it’s really important to buy only certified gluten free oats. That way you can be sure that they are not cross contaminated, and that they are 100% gluten free.
Can you make grain free granola?
Yes, you can make grain free granola. In place of the oats, you can try using more coconut flakes (especially large flakes), sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or nuts if you are able to eat them. It may not take as long to bake grain free granola – so keep an eye on the oven!
How do you make gluten free coconut granola?
- You’ll need to melt some vegan buttery spread, and mix it with the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the certified gluten free oats, coconut flakes, and salt.
- Stir well. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 250 degrees for about 50 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool before eating.
How should I store homemade granola?
I store this homemade coconut granola in an airtight container or a ziploc bag. It should stay fresh for at least a week.
If you make this granola recipe, or any of my other recipes, please share on Instagram and tag me @prettybeeblog. I love to see what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Buttery Coconut Granola (Gluten Free, Vegan).
This buttery coconut granola is nut free, delicious, and so inexpensive to make!
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the vegan buttery spread in a large bowl and microwave for 35 seconds or until melted. Add the honey or maple syrup and the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the oats, coconut flakes, and sea salt. Mix well until fully coated.
- Spread the granola on the cookie sheet and bake at 250 degrees for 50 minutes. Stir every 15 minutes.
- After 50 minutes, if it is not golden brown, raise the heat to 275 degrees and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.
Let cool completely and then store in an airtight container or ziploc bag for up to one week. .
If you aren't dairy free, go ahead and use regular dairy butter.
You can reduce the maple syrup to 1/4 cup if you wish.
This buttery coconut granola is:
- gluten free, dairy free, and allergy friendly
- a great snack or breakfast
- easy to customize – add seeds, dried fruit, or chocolate!
This post was originally published in November 2014. It has been updated with new photos and text.